///M Badge Refurb Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ///M Badge Refurb Kit

Here we have for sale an ///M badge refurbishment kit designed for DIY renewal of the vinyl decal on the S50 ///M badge found on each of the side gills and also on the rear boot badge. One of the problems with the original badges is that over the years the printed original decal becomes a victim of the ravages of UV sunlight resulting in the colours fading badly especially the red stripe as can be seen here in the following picture;

Many people have attempted to rejuvenate their badges using coloured tape to varying degrees of success but it is very difficult to obtain the sort of finish that is acceptable for such a calibre of car.

I have put together a kit consisting of;

1. ///M stripe decals
    2. Safety razor blade to aid removal of existing old decal
    3. Alcohol wipes to clean off the residue and degrease the badge ready for application of new decal.

The decals themselves are precision cut by computer to precise dimensions and are of UV resistant high quality grade exterior vinyl colour matched to the original badge colours.

This kit allows easy DIY refurbishment of existing ///M badges without removing the badges from the car itself. Using a little care and patience the badges will be restored to better than new condition as can be seen in the following picture;

Detailed installation instructions are in the first few posts below which will guide you through the fitment helping you achieve professional results.

I am offering these kits for sale at the following prices;

£12 - UK Delivery
    £14- International delivery

Available for purchase in the ZRoadster shop by clicking on the following link;

///M Badge Refurb Kit

These badges are initially only available for S50 flat ///M badges but the later S54 curved badge will be available very soon. ;)

Please do not hesitate to contact me via PM or email: aceman@zroadster.org if you have any queries.
    Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
    ///M Badge Refurb available HERE

Installation guide part 1 - Removing the original decal.

OK first things first let's talk about safety !

In the kit is a safety razor blade that is extremely sharp and will cut you without you realising if you misuse it. The blade comes protected in a cardboard sleeve which must be removed very carefully before use. When using the razor always keep you fingers behind the blade just in case you accidentally slip.

You have been warned, keep safe !

Ok safety talk out of the way let's get on with the job in hand.

1. If you are doing this with the badges on the car (which is by far the best way) the first thing that has to be done is to protect the surrounding bodywork with some masking tape just so you don't accidentally scratch the surrounding area.

2. A little tip at this point is to warm the badge up using a hairdryer which will soften the original adhesive making it easier to remove. Next is to remove the old decal from the badge. Starting on one of the badges using the razor blade, gently slide the blade behind the original decal keeping the blade as parallel to the surface as possible whilst gently pushing the blade forward and rocking it slightly from side to side.

As you progressively remove the old decal it will probably break off. If this happens just start the process off again on another edge until the entire decal is removed.

Eventually once the entire decal has been removed you will be left with the following picture of adhesive residue left on the badge.

3. With the old decal removed it is time to clean the residue off the badge. I found the best method was to apply a very small drop of Cif cleaner onto a soft cloth and gently rub using a finger on the badge until the residue is removed. You will find once it starts to come away it comes off very quickly and the gentle abrasive in the Cif cleaner polishes the badge to a gleam at the same time.

4. Using one of the alcohol wipes contained in the kit thoroughly wipe the badge down and immediatly wipe afterwards with a clean tissue to remove the alcohol residue, this will ensure any silicones left on the badge will be removed allowing the new decal to gain maximum adhesion. Here is what you should be left with ready for application of the new decal.

Last edited by Aceman; 12-02-2013, 10:54 PM.
    Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Comment

Installation guide part 2 - New decal application

(Tip: Using a hairdryer, warm the badge again as the vinyl decal prefers adhering to surfaces above 10 degrees Celsius, particularly important if applying the decal in winter when ambient temperatures are low)

5. The new decals come applied to a paper backing with a clear application film applied over the top. Gently peel away the paper backing leaving the the decal attached to the front clear application film then carefully offer up the decal to the now clean badge and align the top edge with the top edge of the badge and also making sure the right hand point is positioned correctly (Tip: angle the decal slightly out on the bottom edge so the initial contact of the decal to the badge is only on the very top edge). Once you are happy with the alignment let the decal gently lay flat against the badge under its own weight that way if you are slightly out of alignment you should be able to pull the decall back off the badge and start again. Once completely satisfied you can rub your finger over the decal applying gentle pressure to activate the adhesive and produce a permant bond to the badge.

6. Gently pull the edge of the clear application film leaving the decal adhered to the badge, do this in a nice, even, slow, continuous motion ensuring you don't pull the decal off the badge. Once the application film is removed gently rub the decal with a soft cloth to ensure it is perfectly adhered to the badge. The decal adhesive will take 24 hours to fully bond to the badge so please do not wash the car before then.

7. Stand back and admire your handy work. Repeat on the other two badges.

8. Have a cuppa or a couple of pints.

Last edited by Aceman; 12-02-2013, 10:52 PM.
      Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Comment

hello

interested in the kit and like the effort you have gone to, however, shouldnt the middle stripe be purple not blue? Looks blue from the pictures, might just be the camera though!

Chris

Comment

Purple !

That's a new one on me, I have studied many pictures and compared colours on badges and I have never seen it nor described as purple.

The best I can describe the colour I have matched it to is almost navy blue, there is just a hint of a brighter hue to the blue.

Welcome anyones comments though.
          Last edited by Aceman; 13-02-2013, 10:06 PM.
          Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Comment

just to be clear, I am not trying to scrutinise your work in any way. Good to see someone one here trying to help! I'm only going off of the pictures supplied. Heres a blown up verson, left before, right after.

Anyone else got any thoughts on genuine m-tech colours?

Comment

Chris,

Don't worry I am not offended in fact I welcome constructive criticism and debate but those colours are still blue to me and no way purple. Which picture(s) is that blown up from.?

The pictures I have posted show the slightly faded rear badge on my MR plus a badly faded side badge I acquired as a "test mule" which was a very good example of how bad they can really get.
              Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Comment

Can this kit be used to refurb the M badge on the valve cover of S54 cars as well?

Comment

I can see why people would call the middle stripe purple as its a very deep blue

Comment

Originally posted by sk8flex View Post
                    Can this kit be used to refurb the M badge on the valve cover of S54 cars as well?
                    The spec on the vinyl I use is that it will withstand temperatures from -40 to 105 Degrees Celcius. Most modern engines run at around 90 Degrees take a few Degrees so it is possible. The other thing to consider is the size of the under bonnet badge, I have a set of badges on their way to me so I can get the exact sizes for the external S54 badges but it would be worth you taking some of your own measurements and comparing to your rear boot badge and letting me know if they are the same. If so if you want to try a set I will include an additional large size decal for you to trial FOC.

I will let you all know when the S54 kit available to which hopefully should be after this weekend all being well.
                    Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                      I can see why people would call the middle stripe purple as its a very deep blue
                      Yes maybe and it is always rather subjective looking at colours on a computer screen as each monitor and PC displays colours slightly differently and unless you have a calibrated monitor for reprographics you cannot accuratly compare colours.

However I am sure the colours of the decal I produce are as near a match as you could possibly get but if anyone is dissatisfied with the colour match I will make every attempt to get it right or give you your money back.
                      Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                        I can see why people would call the middle stripe purple
                        Because they're colour blind?
                        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I will take a picture of my OEM badges tomorrow. There's no doubt that the middle stripe is purple. I also have my OEM E30 mtech parts to go off which are also purple. Looking at my brother's 330ci earlier, they are more dark blue than purple. Perhaps a change in colour on later mtech items?

Only real way to find out is to buy an OEM new badge. But that kinda defeats the object.

Comment

call me colour blind, but that is clearly purple

Comment

Pantone:
                              Blue — Pantone Process Blue
                              Purple — Pantone 268
                              Red — Pantone Warm Red

Paint:
                              blue violett GLASURIT-BMW 4000
                              light blue GLASURIT-BMW 5002
                              red GLASURIT-BMW 353

RGB: