No announcement yet.

Estoril S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoyed reading how the car is doing now!

Comment

Originally posted by Broccers View Post
      Enjoyed reading how the car is doing now!
      Yes your old car!
      Hopefully I’m not doing too much you don’t approve of!
      ----------------
      David
      1999 M Coupe (S50)
      >>Read my journal here<<
      2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
      2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Thanks to ImolaMatt, I'm now, as of this evening, the proud owner of these AC Schnitzer flippers!

I dropped the car off at the bodyshop a couple of days ago but they won't have gotten too far as yet, so hopefully if I drop them off tomorrow they'll be able to paint & fit while they have it in!
        ----------------
        David
        1999 M Coupe (S50)
        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Got a call from the bodyshop inviting me to drop in to see how things are going.

Was greeted to find my bumper being prep'd as I arrived - holes drilled ready for the flippers I noted...

The wings have been cleaned up & blasted where any hint of rust was and treated with rust eater to give it some protection.

The sill covers looked pretty good on the painted side, but looked crusty and nasty underneath and like doilies at each end so they're being binned & new ones are on order.

So it was with some trepidation that I went to inspect the sills themselves, but I need not have worried - they're in excellent shape. Passenger side is perfect:

Drivers side needs a bit of cleaning up at the rear but overall is in decent condition:

Noticing that the sills are different colours left to right - so one has seen some action at some point....

They're going to rust protect and waxoyl everything & everywhere before it goes back together but it's a huge relief to see how structurally sound everything is:

Tailgate also prep'd

So they think it'll be a fairly quick process from this point and are hoping it'll be ready in a week. Really looking forward to seeing the finished job!
          ----------------
          David
          1999 M Coupe (S50)
          >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Best of luck!

Comment

+1
              2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

The sill "covers" are wafer thin and always rust inside out. Shame BMW didn't use plastic like they do now. Inner sills/rails are proper heavy duty, being based on a convertible, and rarely cause any more trouble than clean up and rust proof. Any advisory on MOT for rust around jacking point won't appreciate that it's actually just the tin sill cover that's rusty and the actual sill is 3mm+ thick behind it.

Comment

Well I had to pick probably the wettest day of the decade so far to collect my car.... Absolutely biblical rainfall so the photos are consigned to having been taken in the workshop.

But to say I'm pleased is an understatement! I have the ACS badge to go back on the front flipper when it's dry and now I need a nice day to clean & polish it again! Though next job is now PPF after the seat bushes are sorted, hopefully tomorrow.

Final bill £2013 - including two brand new sill covers.

Overall it doesn't "look" that different - you'll have to refer back to my very first post in this journal to see why it went into the bodyshop - just hints of rust here & there, a bit of scabbing, a bit of lacquer lift, then a pheasant strike.... But close up it just looks unbelievable.

And to know that every panel has been rust treated, waxoyled on the inner face, all the box sections also waxoyled - hopefully some protection for years to come.

The guys at Sandydown Bodyworks always do a great job and this is very much up to their usual standard!
                  Last edited by 137699; 13-08-2020, 04:40 PM.
                  ----------------
                  David
                  1999 M Coupe (S50)
                  >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Cars looking great.

Comment

Looks fab
                      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Just another quick job as the part had arrived a couple of weeks ago...

Fitted the filler cap holder - there'd just been an empty slot there when I bought the car...

I think the original parts were made from a plastic compound that decomposed over time. I think this is an updated design and seems to be made from better ABS plastic.
                        ----------------
                        David
                        1999 M Coupe (S50)
                        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Took the MC to a chap in Watford who kindly replaced the bushes in both seats and also the passenger seatbelt pretensioner which had caused the airbag light to come on.

Then annoyingly on the way home, in torrential rain, I forded a deep puddle creating a bow wave on the passenger side and a few mins later the ABS light came on. Stopped for an hour and it went out when I restarted only for it to come back on about 10 miles later and it’s stayed on this time.

So going to need to get that looked at!

Have booked it in for paint protection film to be applied next weekend.
                          ----------------
                          David
                          1999 M Coupe (S50)
                          >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Car looks great and a top effort to get it back to it’s former glory
                            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Another quick update on the respray work - today I picked up my old sill covers.

They look fairly presentable and in decent order on the outer face.

But turn them over and the condition isn't so rosy...

Not sure why BMW didn't make them from plastic but hey ho...

The replacements have been waxoyl treated on the inner face so hopefully will fare better.
                              They have waxoyled everywhere while it was apart and apparently have some photos which they have promised to send me - which I'll post here if/when they do!
                              ----------------
                              David
                              1999 M Coupe (S50)
                              >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Photos supplied by the bodyshop showing the treatment they carried out while the panels were off...

----------------
                                David
                                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                                >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Working...
                                X