Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Springs and Shocks - Which ones? Ride comfort..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it’s the length not the stroke that’s different but the effect is the same, or something.... A bit more wheel articulation before getting the start of the stroke !?

I see a solution coming!

Let’s all get two Coupe’s a hardcore track monster and a slightly upgraded road one!

Comment

Sounds good to me! I'll go the road biased route - the other toy is almost RS spec and having two track cars would be a bit greedy. Plus, I want something I can enjoy taking around the Alps without crushing my vertebrae...
      2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
        Sounds good to me! I'll go the road biased route - the other toy is almost RS spec and having two track cars would be a bit greedy. Plus, I want something I can enjoy taking around the Alps without crushing my vertebrae...
        Awesome! I'm not really a Porsche guy but I wouldn't say no to a 993! Any details of the car?

What I do like about the Z3M is that it's a drivers car but it's just so usable! I've enjoyed supplanting if for just regular trips with abandon.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
          'Seca, do you have a photo of your car with this setup (B6 and stock springs) just so I can see what the ride height is like?? Still deciding whether to get the Eibachs at the same time, probably will.....
          Yep - here you go:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BriLeHGA...d=sxuwwiee7hbf

Tbh - it actually looks fine height wise in that pic - although looks like it badly needs spacers.
          In reality I just want it a sniff lower, with minimal spacing.
          Last edited by Seca Blue; 27-04-2020, 09:24 PM.
          S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Maph, good to know and that's a great price. Unfortunately, they only seem to have the B8 Offroads for sale at the moment.
            Not sure why the B8 description includes 'offroad' but if you check the part numbers on the Bilstein website they are the correct ones.

B6's sound like a good shout for you though, gives you the option on height moving forwards
            S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
              Yep - here you go:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BriLeHGA...d=sxuwwiee7hbf

Tbh - it actually looks fine height wise in that pic - although looks like it badly needs spacers.
              In reality I just want it a sniff lower, with minimal spacing.
              Thank You :)

I've bit the bullet and ordered the Eibach springs part number E2060-240 which give a very modest drop and apparantly are designed to work with standard shocks anyway, so will pair with the B6 Dampers.

This also avoids having to rub down and paint the old springs I guess, and at least I'll have the option to put the standards back on if it didn't work out.

My car seems to sit a bit lowish on it's standard springs anyway, Reddish motorsport commented on it, time for a re-fresh.

Comment

That's funny, mine seems to sit a bit high..... It seems we're both going down a similar route. Happy to talk Porsche all day long, I'll send you the details instead of boring everyone on this forum with a Beetle.

Comment

Originally posted by maph View Post
                  Not sure why the B8 description includes 'offroad' but if you check the part numbers on the Bilstein website they are the correct ones.

B6's sound like a good shout for you though, gives you the option on height moving forwards
                  Thanks Maph, I did think it was strange but didn't bother to look at the part numbers. That's a great deal, but I think I'll stick with the B6's (same valving, so should behave exactly the same but with the option of returning to standard).

Comment

That's really interesting, as I was leaning towards V1's or V2's. One of the reasons was that I was hoping they'd have got the damper valving and spring rates properly matched (I also like the full stainless steel construction). I believe the V1's are running 400 lb springs at the front, which doesn't seem overly stiff, but it's very difficult to tell by pure numbers. I can't find any spring rates for the H&R springs as they're only advertised as being progressive.

As an aside, the common combination of B6/B8 with H&R's seems to get a bad response here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...n-sport-shocks

Although admittedly that thread is now quite old, and of course, everyone's opinion is different.

Urquattrogus, I hope you don't mind this discussion on your thread. I'll start another one if it's diverging from yours....
                    Yes- those were my sentiments (and one of the reasons I chose this already modified car).

I am planning a rebuild and refresh soon- unfortunately I don’t have a garage or much spare time so I’ll have to have farm it out.
                    ‘99 M Coupe | ‘07 M5 Touring

Comment

Sold my spare set of AC Schnitzer wheels today so I have money to spend and I’m keen on refreshing the suspension.

The car is currently fitted with ACS springs and sits well in my opinion but it’s seen better days. Does anyone know what the drop was on the ACS springs?

I’m looking for the closest setup to the ACS if anyone knows what that would be.

Having read this thread through it appears that the b6 shock is probably the way to go, just need a spring that will give a nice drop and preferably maintain the current look of the car

Comment

Just seen these on the rossiters website.

https://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/eiba...rom-8738-p.asp

Looks like these ones are branded Eibach and not ACS like my current springs. I’ll give them a call in the morning

Comment

I’d be interested to know how you get on. I’ve got b6’s and I’m always trying to figure out what to do with the oem springs.

Comment

I have those eibach springs ready to fit to My Coupe with the B6 Shocks.

15-20mm drop.

If you want to drop more then the B8 with it's shorter rod is recommended or you could use the B8 with the above springs.

What you can't do is use the shorter B8 with standard springs.

That's how I see it anyway.

The Eibach springs are designed for use with standard dampers and the B6 seems a good match for the eibach or standard springs.

I did ask Bilstein and also larkspeed whom I ordered from about this.

That's how I see it.

Comment

Everything you say matches what Bilstein have told me directly.
                              15-20m drop is exactly what I want, but I don’t want a stiffer ride that I’ve already got.
                              Haven’t researched the ride on those springs - have you any idea why they’re likely to be like?

Comment

It would be good to get a measurement from the centre of the wheel to the highest point in the wheel arch for different setups.

This would give good info for those looking to refresh or lower with the various springs.

I’d be interested in what the stock height is so I can work out what drop the ACS springs give.

Comment

Working...
                                X