Limited in 1st gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited in 1st gear?

I was out playing tonight (at last some warm, dry roads) and got the chance to confirm something I suspected. When I floor it in 1st gear I get an initial kick of accelaration but it doesn't seem to build like in the other gears. When I repeat the exercise in 2nd I can feel the power building is the rev needle sweeps round. Does anyone know if the S50 engine management is programmed to limit full power to 2nd to 5th gear, and knock the edge of the delivery in 1st?

Mine doesn't do that.. it seems very happy to lose traction at the top of 1st gear given the slightest opportunity of damp roads, loose surface.. But I can't say I very often give it full beans in first, I have SOME sympathy for the engine :twisted:
    Rob

My car NOT for sale

Comment

Yeah, mine will lose traction in the wet or loose surfaces too. It just doesn't feel like it gives full power compared to the other gears. It's pretty difficult to describe what I am feeling when driving it, but I am sure it is not a mechanical problem. I remember reading a while ago that some M3s had their power limited in the lower gears to help with traction and thought that it could be the same thing with the S50 engined MCs.

Comment

Dare2Fail: http://www.e36coupe.co.uk/forum/view...t+gear+limiter
        S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
        Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

I cant beleive power is limited in first. I recently had the throttle cable changed and first / 2nd now seem more responsive. As far as losing traction, I can easily lose traction when rolling if I floor it in first on a totally dry road.
          Ex 99 Cosmos balck
          Now ZT 260 V8

Comment

Thanks for the link Mr Micko, that is exactly what I was thinking off. Power just seems to plateau instead of building like it does in other gears.

Physco, are you in an S50 or S54? I don't get wheelspin in the dry in first unless I dump the clutch and it definitely feels as if it is holding back. I'd prefer it to be unlimited, but the general concensus amongst the M3 Evo forum was that it just increases wheelspin and that there isn't a big performance gain, so I won't stress out about it.

Thanks guys.

Liam

Comment

Much of the info in the link came from my 'in gear sensor' observation and was mis-construed.

I don't believe there's any restriction.

There certainly isn't on my car.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum2/viewt...er=asc&start=0
              Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

I remember the previous threads and mine feels like yours Dare2fail, the big punch from 3000rpm in 2nd gear doesn't seem to be there in 1st gear where you'd expect it to be much stronger.

Comment

Think i know what u mean. Sometimes u take off hard in first gear and it doesnt feel as sharp as usual.

Comment

I think CW summed it up best in the link posted by M3_Compact.

"I set off quickly from the lights and it wheelspan but when the revs go past 4000rpm it almost feels flat"

Comment

Dare 2 Fail - mines an S50, but it did have a new engine in under warranty only 13K miles ago, so I guess its just about run in and should be developing the specified 321BHP. Must admit ive had a few interesting duals - one with a 911 turbo (and yes I do meen turbo) and one with a Caterham CSR260. Interestingly, I managed to stay with both, but I was absolutely caining it. The guy in the porker pulled over after about 10miles of A / B roads to see in his terms 'what the f*** I had under the bonnet', and when I told hom it was standard I thought he was gonna cry - he said he was taking his car back to the dealer to see if it wasnt developing the expected power.

Ive also take a mate out who has a Evo FQ320 and he thinks the MC feels quicker - im starting to wonder if the head / cams etc are modded and the previous seller kept quite, but that said im sure BMW would have noticed this and refused to provide a replacemet engine under warranty!
                      Ex 99 Cosmos balck
                      Now ZT 260 V8

Comment

Originally posted by physco johnson
                        Dare 2 Fail - mines an S50, but it did have a new engine in under warranty only 13K miles ago, so I guess its just about run in and should be developing the specified 321BHP.
                        What happened to your old engine?
                        S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                        Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

Working...
                        X