No announcement yet.

Throttle Cable replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a previous thread related to the current one on throttle cable replacement/tension
    http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ighlight=cable
    sigpic

Comment

Changed mine this morning, took about 45 minutes, bit fiddly but straightforward enough. What a difference! well worth the £25. and thanks to all on forum for making me aware of this fix.

Comment

welcome to the forum

Comment

Another throttle pedal improvement, IMO, is to raise the throttle pedal a little so the brake pedal is not so massively higher than the throttle; makes it much easier to heal and toe. I did this by simply buying another throttle pedal and bolting on the top (from behind).

Comment

the chrome nuts are still available from BMW at £4.00 plus vat

Comment

Looking at the realoem diagram for the throttle cable it shows a bracket and some clips #13 /14 that I don't think are on the coupe?

Comment

Those who changed the cable, was there something obviously wrong with the original one ?

I am thinking if it would be possible just to lubricate the old cable to get it running smoothly again ?
                The older I get, the faster I was ...
                BMW HP2 Sport
                ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by JuhaV View Post
                  Those who changed the cable, was there something obviously wrong with the original one ?

I am thinking if it would be possible just to lubricate the old cable to get it running smoothly again ?
                  I think it may be more of a RHD issue as the cable snakes all over the place but lubrication alone doesn't always help

Comment

I think there's two things going on; it seems to get stiffer but also seem to stretch a little which is why so many Z3Ms don't get full throttle unless it's been checked manually. When I test drove my Coupe in 2005 (so the car was only 5 or 6 yrs old at the time) it didn't feel that fast; we pulled over and it was only reaching 3/4 throttle!

A new cable is really "free" and loose in the outer body and makes the throttle lighter.

Comment

Some more details/pictures regarding throttle cable replacement on RHD S50,

Replaced throttle cable today, straight forward to do and took around 30 minutes.

remove the two plastic dash panels to give access to top of pedal,
                      (small plastic screw covers are normally impossible to remove so replacements may be needed at £1+ each)

remove cable from pedal and retain black rubber grommet

Comment

Remove cable from throttle body retaining black plastic connector,

make a note of how cable feeds around vacuum pipe etc

Comment

Cable is held in place by one white plastic holder and three black plastic holders on bulkhead,

Comment

Remove DME plastic cover to give better access and remove cable from bulkhead

Comment

Old and new cables, I adjusted the new one to match existing length

Comment

Plastic holder just about visible,

Comment

Working...
                                X