Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch options

Hi guys,
    Is there anyone on the forum that has actually done away with the dual mass flywheel & fitted a solid with the appropriate clutch. I have the 1999 S50 engine.
    My clutch is HEAVY (pressure plate starting to seize I think) & I have had problems with dual mass flywheels on other cars.
    If anyone has part numbers for the various components & can tell me what sort of fitting problems may be encountered I would be extremely grateful.
    Howard.

The dual mass flywheels don't seem to cause too many problems from what I've read - most people swap to solid for lighter weight.

I think some early E34 M5s had a solid flywheel that can be used with the E34 M5 clutch disc (which is sprung) and the Z3M coverplate. Don't quote me on this though!

I was looking into doing this but think you can get some gearbox noise, and I'm also unsure if there is a lack of vibration damper on the engine that may cause an issue also. Obviously the solid flywheel setup worked on the older cars so might work!

Comment

I had a solid lightweight flywheel with a sprung friction plate. There was a rattle at idle with the clutch out but nothing too serious. The flywheel was about 6Kg ( approx. 8kg lighter than standard).

I fitted a new Dual mass flywheel last year ( only because I couldn't source a replacement friction surface for the lightweight one and ordered the wrong one, twice) and standard clutch as it was just easier.

I have got a brand new M34 clutch if you did want to go down this route...…
      ( Also got 2 * wrong friction surfaces for fidenza flywheel )

Comment

Cheers for that,
        Thanks for the offer M1ke but I may stick to the dual mass if there is a chance of getting it wrong.
        I know from past experience that you should put in a new flywheel when changing the clutch (with a dual mass setup) to avoid future problems, so wanted to know if there were alternatives out there.
        The rear subframe is coming off (mounting bushes) for a clean up, so while the exhaust is off I thought I might as well do the clutch as well.
        The 'to do' list is however getting toilet roll long now (where do you stop?).
        Is it worth taking out the gearbox indents while its off the car & giving them a polish?
        I thought I would ask as it sounds like you have had the gearbox off more than once!!
        Howard.

Comment

Ha, yes indeed, where do you stop......

I considered the indents as I had a 'sticky 5th gear' but after some research opted just to change the gearbox oil, which has resolved the problem.

I changed the following

Flywheel - Dual Mass - I think it was a LUK from Eurocarparts
          Full clutch / release bearing
          New pivot pin for the clutch arm
          Gearbox mounts ( Originals were very tired!)
          Clutch hose ( Braided item from hank engineering)

Checked the rubber guibo between the Gearbox and prop - Mine was good but this can be a failure point.

Propshaft center bearing also worth checking.

Also as a must, replace the constant pressure valve o-ring on the side of the block as this is really easy to do when the gearbox is off!

Comment

Working...
          X