Braided clutch hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided clutch hose

Hi I have just bought an M coupe, hurrah, anyway, by the time i drove it back over 100 miles the clutch was really low down and very difficult to get gears. It does look like the clutch hose might cure this, but in all the threads I found, none mention the location of the hose needing to be changed apart from the one in the link below. Looks like it is next to the gearbox??

I plan on calling Earls for the hose, could someone confirm this is the hose, the car is an s50 1999. Many thanks Dave

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17894

Alos thinking about gearbox oil change, found asmsol MTF to be rated but no real mention of oil grade is it 75w-80w?

Thanks again Dave

Here’s a pic of mine in-situ. Had it fitted by a friend who worked at my local BMW dealership
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

pictures of a Earls hose,

Comment

Amsoil details,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10655

Comment

Originally posted by the badger View Post
          Hi I have just bought an M coupe, hurrah, anyway, by the time i drove it back over 100 miles the clutch was really low down and very difficult to get gears. It does look like the clutch hose might cure this, but in all the threads I found, none mention the location of the hose needing to be changed apart from the one in the link below. Looks like it is next to the gearbox??

I plan on calling Earls for the hose, could someone confirm this is the hose, the car is an s50 1999. Many thanks Dave

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17894

Alos thinking about gearbox oil change, found asmsol MTF to be rated but no real mention of oil grade is it 75w-80w?

Thanks again Dave

yes its this hose,

Comment

Muchos gracias

Wow guys, thanks for the help, some very clean undersides there, thank you for your help, will speak to earls and get some fresh gearbox oil too. Thanks again dave

Comment

Originally posted by the badger View Post
              Wow guys, thanks for the help, some very clean undersides there, thank you for your help, will speak to earls and get some fresh gearbox oil too. Thanks again dave

Congratulations by the way, looks like you can replace the metal bracket and small metal pipe with some replacement hose kits or leave it in and just replace the actual flexi hose.

Comment

Thanks Dave

Thanks Dave, it's aquarius's old car, it does look awesome, but has only done a few hundred miles in the last 2-3 years so feel it needs a bit of re commissioning. It's going to get an oil change, Earls clutch hose and hopefully gearbox oil as soon as, then think I will drive it and see what else might be needed.

There is a bit of hunting on tick over every now and again and suspect some kind of vanos issue, either the solenoid or gaskets, but isn't all the time so could be clutch drag. Not sure but, in the short term I will get the essentials sorted and look at the later issue maybe next year. Don't think I'll do too many miles in the winter as it's a weekend car. But it's the sexiest car in the world. Would like to get it going as good as it looks.

Pulls hard top end but seems a bit ordinary in the lower rev band. Might bite the bullet next year and go to mr vanos, depending on funds or just get my mechanic to see if the solenoid need resoldering.

Anyway, many thanks for the help and nice to be on the forum. Thanks again Dave

Comment

Congrats on the purchase, Badger!

I have a brand new earl's braided clutch hose if you want to make me a sensible offer... Part number CBMWZ3C45SP.
                  S54 Black / Imola. S50 Titan / Black. And some bits from Stuttgart.

Comment

Thanks P J

Thanks P j, but I bought one this morning ordered from Earl's, think they are £23 plus Vat, so £28 ish. Am hoping thats as big as the bills get lol...

Comment

Earls website link,

http://www.earls.co.uk/earls100/earl...roducts_id=865

Comment

Are the earls lines compatible with S54 engine variants? I'm not sure if they used the same gearbox as an S50.

I am thinking of replacing mine, but truth be known I would rather another fresh rubber one as I don't want any NVH through the clutch pedal. I am sure I read somewhere about people retrofitting an e30 or e28 brake hose as a happy medium, but I don't have enough info on what hose and have the same S50/S54 questions lingering.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Bmw View Post
                          Are the earls lines compatible with S54 engine variants? I'm not sure if they used the same gearbox as an S50.

I am thinking of replacing mine, but truth be known I would rather another fresh rubber one as I don't want any NVH through the clutch pedal. I am sure I read somewhere about people retrofitting an e30 or e28 brake hose as a happy medium, but I don't have enough info on what hose and have the same S50/S54 questions lingering.
                          Pretty sure the S54/S50 are the same drivetrain so should be ok but realoem should tell you any differences. I think Chris (CW) used a rubber brake pipe on his Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Bmw View Post

I can’t quite remember the issue, but when I had mine swapped over on my S54 there was some problem at the time moving to the Earls. I’m sure that’s what is on it now though, but fitting another OEM rubber one will last another 10+ years anyway
                            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Checking on realoem shows the same hose between S50 and S54.
                              I think another genuine one is the way forwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X