Suspension bushes - thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension bushes - thoughts?

As I'm going through a complete suspension refresh, I thought I'd change all the bushes at the same time. I was wondering what people's experiences were, and any other suggestions. This is what I was thinking:

Front lollipops: OEM (are Powerflex road series too harsh?)
    Rear subframe: Powerflex road series
    Diff Mount: OEM
    Trailing arms: OEM (again, are Powerflex too harsh?)

Anything I've missed?
    2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

I'm going for the same as you.

Seems to be a lot of hysteria about powerflex being harsh and some people saying powerflex wishbones are very squeaky.

I find this confusing as I've used powerflex road series bushes on a lot of cars and never had a squeak or harshness.

Having the rear subframe located more securely seems a big plus.

I did cry a bit at the price of the OEM Diff bush (£180-200) when powerflex do one for £35 but that is one area where I do think stock is definitely best to be on the safe side.

Comment

I've never really had any problems with Powerflex bushes either. There's a part of me that's tempted to go with Powerflex throughout (apart from the diff) as they'll be so much easier to press in. I was wondering if anyone had tried them out on their Coupe?

Comment

Oh, and I'll be changing the gearbox mounts, too.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
          I'm going for the same as you.

Seems to be a lot of hysteria about powerflex being harsh and some people saying powerflex wishbones are very squeaky.

I find this confusing as I've used powerflex road series bushes on a lot of cars and never had a squeak or harshness.

Having the rear subframe located more securely seems a big plus.

I did cry a bit at the price of the OEM Diff bush (£180-200) when powerflex do one for £35 but that is one area where I do think stock is definitely best to be on the safe side.
          The diff mount has always been expensive for soMe reason but the price has doubled in the last few years making it stupidly expensive now

Comment

Replaced my subframe mounts with powerflex purple when the whole lot was out, I believe it helps prevent the dreaded boot floor damage by restricting movement. my floor was good, just a bit of surface rust. Just a touch more noise in the cabin but definitely worth it.
            Diff mount was a surprise though, looked perfect until off the car, rubber had almost completely delaminated from outer rim but impossible to spot until on the bench. Used genuine BMW item, yes guys I agree crazy price for a fairly standard looking bush.
            Used Genuine M bushes on front wishbones, they seem fine for normal road use.

Comment

I guess I've got time to decide as we can't get any parts from BMW right now...

I'm surprised no one's tried Powerflex bushes for the lollipops and trailing arms.

Comment

The Oem bushes can be had right now from the BMW ebay shop or Schneidermann.

The Powerflex ones can be a lot cheaper or dearer depending upon which area it is. Rear wishbones was about £120 powerflex and £50 Oem for a set.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
                  I guess I've got time to decide as we can't get any parts from BMW right now...

I'm surprised no one's tried Powerflex bushes for the lollipops and trailing arms.
                  Stock wishbone bush on the M is pretty good (stiff enough without causing too much NVH).

For me the only bushes I would consider polybushing is the subframe bush to stop if floating. You can also use stock bushes and fill the voids and pack above the subframe (rubber discs etc) to stop float.

Comment

The Oem bushes can be had right now from the BMW ebay shop or Schneidermann.

The Powerflex ones can be a lot cheaper or dearer depending upon which area it is. Rear wishbones was about £120 powerflex and £50 Oem for a set.
                    Ah, that makes the choice easier. In which case it's back to plan A (and the advise on this forum, thanks), OEM for all apart from the subframe.

Spent all day yesterday trying to get the damned exhaust off. The flange bolts were rusted solid. And, of course, BMW put them in a position that's almost impossible to cut....

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
                      Ah, that makes the choice easier. In which case it's back to plan A (and the advise on this forum, thanks), OEM for all apart from the subframe.

Spent all day yesterday trying to get the damned exhaust off. The flange bolts were rusted solid. And, of course, BMW put them in a position that's almost impossible to cut....
                      Nothing like a simple job turning into a nightmare lol.

I fitted a strut brace to my Alfa spider and torqued up a bolt on the strut top the other weekend. The F@cker sheared off with the last turn.

Had to drill the bolt out as it was a 8.8 hardened bolt. Miraculously after trying an easy out and swearing a lot, the next day i drilled it out without damaging the threads and then ran a tap through it too.

Wife came to ask how things were going just after I sheared the bolt off!!!!

Comment

Wife came to ask how things were going just after I sheared the bolt off!!!!
                        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I've still got the joy of the subframe support hex sockets. Got them soaking in penetrating fluid. Gave up today after the prop shaft bolts wouldn't move at the diff joint - not enough room to get a socket on them. Tomorrow's another day....

Comment

Working...
                          X