Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello Everyone - I'm about to make the leap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone - I'm about to make the leap!

Hey Guys and Gals,

How is everyone?

I've spent the day reading through the old posts on here and love the community feel. It's a bit like e30zone was back in the 00's :-)

I have been looking around at Z3M Coupes and I have more or less agreed to purchase one. It's an ex BMW Press Car that was with Evo Magazine as a long-termer.

2001, Silver, S54, Y952NBL. This won't be a daily, it will be used for a couple of thousand miles a year max.

I currently run an E60 M5 which I love and will be sad to see go. Pic below:

The Z3M Coupe I'm looking at is for sale at Sytner in Tamworth and I have had the sales manager send me a video of the car. It looks very clean to be fair, but there is a "tiny" bit of rust at the bottom of the sill(s) at the rear wheel arch.

Here's a link to the for sale ad: https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/list...38&cId=8237915

Here are two screenshots of the presentation video showing the rust:

Driver's Side:

Passenger Side:

I guess my first question for the seasoned vets of Z3MC ownership is; is this rust indicative of a car that might have bigger issues? Or is this normal?

I've searched through and read a number of threads and reckon it is most likely the sill plates alone which are bolt on/off, and that the car is probably fine underneath. I have asked the dealer to replace them.

Thanks guys. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Sean
    Last edited by Seany; 07-11-2020, 10:24 AM. Reason: Photos not displaying correctly.

Congratulations Seany.

As far as problems relating to sill rust here is a good reference Video from Reddish Motorsport.
    https://youtu.be/d99Ba7lictE

Also check the subfloor spot welds, a quick guide to this & how to do it from Reddish.
    https://youtu.be/3TaXegd_LsQ

Atb.

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Can’t quite tell but is that just the sill outer covers there? Those are not bad to replace, £140 a piece plus painting.

It’s what lurks beneath on the main sills and jacking points.

The sills and jacking points are very thick though thanks to the roadster basis of the coupe, so far in almost all cases it’s just rub them back and prep and paint and you’re all good.

Don’t forget to check the boot floor too.

Sounds like a lovely car, good luck :)

Comment

Pm sent

Pm sent ref alternative S54 available.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious View Post
            Congratulations Seany.

As far as problems relating to sill rust here is a good reference Video from Reddish Motorsport.
            https://youtu.be/d99Ba7lictE

Also check the subfloor spot welds, a quick guide to this & how to do it from Reddish.
            https://youtu.be/3TaXegd_LsQ

Atb.
            Thanks mate, that's very useful! Nice to meet you!

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
            Welcome to the forum
            Thanks Dave, looking forward to being a contributor!

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
            Can’t quite tell but is that just the sill outer covers there? Those are not bad to replace, £140 a piece plus painting.

It’s what lurks beneath on the main sills and jacking points.

The sills and jacking points are very thick though thanks to the roadster basis of the coupe, so far in almost all cases it’s just rub them back and prep and paint and you’re all good.

Don’t forget to check the boot floor too.

Sounds like a lovely car, good luck :)
            Thanks mate. Hopefully it works out well!

Yeah its the removable sill plate at the rear end where it joins to the rear wheel arch. The Camera is turned to the side.

Originally posted by Ady View Post
            Pm sent ref alternative S54 available.
            Well received mate, thanks!

Comment

Welcome Sean

As others have said, sill cover replacement is pretty painless and even better if you can get dealer to do it. Ask for some pics of what lurks beneath, unlikely to be an issue but worth checking.
              1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

That rust looks pretty standard to me. My 1999 one with 72,000 was the same when I bought it.
                Was relieved to see that behind it was nice and clean when the bodyshop took them off.

As others have said - inexpensive to replace so don’t be too alarmed - though of course you should absolutely use it as a lever to negotiate a discount with the dealer!

Well worth reading the buyers guide on this forum. It was invaluable to me when I bought mine and the boot floor and vanos are more areas of concern than rust on these cars.
                ----------------
                David
                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                >>Read my journal here<<
                2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

The Silver S54 is showing as sold

Comment

Working...
                  X