Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet locks - can they be saved?

Hi guys,

I had the bonnet of the MC open the other day for a bit longer than I liked....as the bugger wouldn’t latch down when I tried to close it! It appears that the catches on the front slam panel aren’t returning as they should, with the passenger side being worse than the other.

I greased them a little and then worked them with a screwdriver and they have quite a spring to them, but as soon as the bonnet comes down and the sprung ‘pins’ on the bonnet engage, they don’t hold it.....well they do on the first close as I’ve manually sprung them out, but when I open and try and close it again, they don’t catch.

Is there a fix or is it a case of buying new? Appear to be an easy change with only 3 bolts/screws holding each one in place.

Cheers
    Ian
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

I would change them and also look at the cables at the same time as these can stretch and wear. I think its not the easiest job to do as access is limited but I took the easy route and got mechanic to do mine.

Comment

Just looked at the price to see if they had suddenly got very expensive like some other parts but they are about £13 per side so not that bad.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_0040

someone on the forum is selling very nice NLA torx bolts for them

Comment

Mine failed in the closed position a couple of years ago. There are two associated cables and two locks to replace (all of which corrode). Access is from below once they fail, much better to replace all as preventative maintenance. Parts weren't expensive.
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
          Just looked at the price to see if they had suddenly got very expensive like some other parts but they are about £13 per side so not that bad.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_0040

someone on the forum is selling very nice NLA torx bolts for them
          I thought they must be no9 without them actually looking like that?

Any links?!

Originally posted by ian View Post
          Mine failed in the closed position a couple of years ago. There are two associated cables and two locks to replace (all of which corrode). Access is from below once they fail, much better to replace all as preventative maintenance. Parts weren't expensive.

Which bits did you actually change then?
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

The two cables and two locks.
            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Pelican guide here (LHD)

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

Comment

Mine failed a few years ago..i took them off flushed them thru with copios WD..got loads of crap out of em i guess being at the front of the car they will collect crap! after cleaning and an aplication of greese never had a problem since

Comment

depends if parts are just dirty or dirty and rusty if rusty then no point trying to save them in my opinion

Comment

Cheers guys

I’ve got to take them off either way so will have a look. Definitely didn’t look rusty so will see....

Comment

If you've got them off replace them for the sake of the cost , it's basic nuts and bolts and a couple of hours to fix but it's a bitch if they give up when the bonnet is down . I speak from experience!

Comment

Originally posted by paulwirral View Post
                        If you've got them off replace them for the sake of the cost , it's basic nuts and bolts and a couple of hours to fix but it's a bitch if they give up when the bonnet is down . I speak from experience!
                        That happened to me too, replacing the parts before failure is a no brainer IMO

Comment

Mine wer not rusty just full of stuff,old greese etc.Cme up a treat !

Comment

Its the cables that generally fail, likely compounded by stiff locks.

Comment

Working...
                            X