Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The life and times of a guy and his awkwardly shaped car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The life and times of a guy and his awkwardly shaped car...

So,

Figured I should start a thread on here.. progress will be slow but it has to start somewhere.

Went to look at a few cars, the first few just weren't what I was after... too modded and poor condition. Saw this car for sale and took a trip down to view it. Few little bits to sort, wheel refurb, front tyres, weeping camcover but overall it's been well looked after and not abused. A deal was done and then came the horrid wait until collection!

Picked up the car on 6 August from Portsmouth on 91152 miles...

Nearly home, 90 min later.

Obligatory late night Shell petrol station shot...

Then due to the horrid weather and work it took me a little while before I had the chance to give the car a proper clean

Off to Retro Rides Gathering at Prescott Hillclimb this weekend just gone with Steve in his insane AE86... 200bhp from a 1.6 at 9000rpm!

And some of the cars on The Corolla Brotherhood (my blog) stand. Most had left by this point

So plans for the car for now are to just enjoy it before winter sets in... K&N intake ordered and will be making up a sealed enclosure, then some h&r springs and a wheel refurb in either black, matt bronze or Shadow Chrome.

While it is my only car, I don't drive it to work but will be doing some prep for winter soon, some spare wheels with winter tyres and full underseal.

Impressions so far.. loving it!

Good post, interesting to see how things progress. I think mine has a weeping Camcove as well, smells a bit when started up sometimes as if some oil has dropped onto the manifold
    S54 M Coupe
    D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Looking good

I always think they look so good under petrol station forecourt light
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

They do seem to like visiting them as well!
        S54 M Coupe
        D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Saw it at retro rides looks tidy!

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
            Looking good

I always think they look so good under petrol station forecourt light
            Originally posted by Howiez View Post
            I dread to think how many times I've already been there to fill up.. its quite a few!

Originally posted by brettski View Post
            Saw it at retro rides looks tidy!
            Thank you mate :)

Comment

Seen this for sale....

Looks a tidy thing..

I will be the one to say it..........Please remove the "illest" badge

Comment

Originally posted by Howiez View Post
                haha classic!
                Welcome btw and welcome to filling up often

Comment

So bit of an update on the car... had an issue with the passenger window where it wouldn't drop when opening or closing. After much fault finding it turned out to be the actual switch itself. Cheap enough fix!

Fitted the Ken n Nige (K&N) around a month or two ago which has provided a bit of welcome intake noise (can't seem to find the photo of it but it looks like every other K&N)

Drove the car for a bit and purchased some springs from a fellow forum member as well as extended studs/nuts and 13 and 15mm spacers for the front and rear of the car, which we set about fitting yesterday.

Obligatory pics...

Studs and spacers:

Before:

After:

Post fitting, a spirited drive with my buddy in his S2K to the pub.. The noise from the intake on full chat of the S2K is rather decent!

So next on the cards.. winter tyres and Dinotrol the underside and arches for winter! As this is my only car, It'll be driven in all weather!

Comment

Bet it wont!

Comment

If you're going to Dinitrol it, it's worth removing the outer steel panels to do so. I removed front 'wings', sill covers and rear quarters to clean them up, shoot some primer over them and spray comprehensively with Dinitrol.
                      The rear quarters are a big job as you have to remove all interior trim from the B posts back to get at the 3 mounting bolts under the window, but it was worth it. My '01 had faint spidering just under the side window rubber which is sanded back and touched in before Dinitrol and replacement. Impossible to do with the panels in situ.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                        Bet it wont!
                        Yeah I think I'm reminded how mine became a big sledge.

Dont reckon winter tyres will help, maybe something very heavy in the boot too

Comment

Working...
                        X