Z3 Steering Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z3 Steering Rack

I’ve tried to search for this, but no joy so far.

Has anyone fitted a Z3 steering rack to a coupe?

I believe you are better with the rack from the 4 pot cars (faster?).

Any problems encountered with fitting?

Any positives or negatives to the conversion.

Thanks in advance
    Estoril blue S50 - 2000: Bilstien B8's, Spax adjustables, H&R springs, H&R anti-roll bars, Rogue top mounts, Tints, M5 alloys, Simota, Supersprint, ACS splitters.

Originally posted by MCEwan View Post
    I’ve tried to search for this, but no joy so far.

Has anyone fitted a Z3 steering rack to a coupe?

I believe you are better with the rack from the 4 pot cars (faster?).

Any problems encountered with fitting?

Any positives or negatives to the conversion.

Thanks in advance
    Its a straight swap and is less turns lock to lock.....2.5 vs 3 I think.

Comment

Any non-Z3M rack is the faster rack (ie ALL Z3s). Not sure why the 4cyl is often reported as having the quicker rack. I fitted mine not long after I got the car as I had one in the garage waiting from my 2.8 Z3!

Well worth doing IMO.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

All positive so far.

I've managed to get my hands on one of these without paying stupid money for it, also have new track rods, ball joints, gaiters, locking tabs etc to go on.

Thanks
        Estoril blue S50 - 2000: Bilstien B8's, Spax adjustables, H&R springs, H&R anti-roll bars, Rogue top mounts, Tints, M5 alloys, Simota, Supersprint, ACS splitters.

Comment

Anybody know why the M would have slower steering?

Comment

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
            Anybody know why the M would have slower steering?
            To make it less twitchy and therefore "safer" for the general public. It was launched in a time before most performance cars got nannied with traction and stability safety features.

Comment

I have now got around to fitting my Z3 1.9 Steering rack and what a difference it makes. I have also swapped the top mounts with H&R, KW V3's so totaling the drive is quite aggressive.

I also have a smaller alcantara steering wheel so the slack and sloppiness is long gone.

If you can justify it a great and welcomed modification.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

The final piece to the steering is to check the rubber donut joining the two halves of the lower column together; invariable this is worn and gives off-centre slack. It's not replaceable as it's riveted together - I have bolted mine up rigid with some spacers and bolts.

Comment

I have done most of the mods that I have wanted to do but the steering is still a little sloppy and I am thinking of changing the rack to a non M rack. Anyone got any good ideas for sourcing one?

Comment

Contact Andy on here,he has one.

Comment

Thanks Kwoffa. Have PM him.

Comment

Steering rack is high on the mod list. I've had a bit of a read online and it seems that the purple tag rack from an e46 clubsport/ compact is a good option. Having 3 turns lock to lock vs the shorter 2.7 turn z3 rack and the 3.2 mc.
                        Has anyone fitted the purple tag version?

Comment

Working...
                        X