Advice on how much to pay for a black M coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
    I know people who took years to find one close the spec they wanted for an S54.

So you either need to get lucky, be patient or widen your scope ;-)
    Exactly.

Although there have been built more European spec LHD S54s than UK RHD S54s these seem to come up for sale more often than for example in Germany.

Within the last months the number of S54 coupes for sale in Germany was: 0.

If you find a nice one for sale, be quick as the good cars tend to be gone in no time.

Comment

Eddie

Ive resisted getting in on this topic because its been done to death but I`m bored and thought id give my 2p worth

1) whats anything worth ? .... what your willing to pay

2) as been said before a million times...buy on condition not miles

3) don't discount colours or restrict what u want you will miss out on good cars

I wanted a yellow MC right from the outset but saw mine loved the mods and the look and bought it

I went to gaydon 2 yr ago with opinions on certain colours and trims and when I came back id completely changed my mind

Green sounds yuk.... but looks great polished in the flesh

Red looks a bit plain in some photos..... but again looks awesome polished

Steel grey looks good in photos.... but doesn't do it for me in the flesh
      but the interior looked great ( those at Gaydon will know what i mean)

Laguna Seca blue favorite colour for BMW`s.... does not look as good on an MC as a m3 but still looks good

Pheonix yellow liked it originally and still looks good

black and silver ok too

4) don't discount interior colours either as Ive said before kaylami sounds crap but looks great

5)mods don't discount modified cars there are a few good mods which you will want to do i Guarantee it maybe not now but in a while

6) s50 or s54 dont get too hung up on either

7) And most of all don't hang around humming and ha-ing loads have been on this forum over the years messed about and hesitated and missed cracking cars at good prices

If it was me in the position again id head to Silverstone on 21/7/12 and see cars in the flesh come and talk to owners have a poke about check the colours out.

there are standard and modified cars with different wheels which change the look of the car too

and while your at it ask the owners to start the cars up and you can hear how raspy they are

and im sure of your not a total tw@t some one will take you out on the lap of the circuit

turn up with a pocket full of money you might even tempt some one to sell .... money talks

good luck with your search
      [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Eddie,

I endorse everything Ragerover has said. Don't discount ANYTHING because it isn't your ideal MC and don't restrict yourself to a specific colour combination otherwise you'll probably miss buying something very good. Once you've got an MC you'll wish you'd got one in every colour, because they all look great (except in Evergreen!), so be satisfied with what you buy.

If you know anything about cars, then use your own judgment of condition for age and mileage. Likewise, don't rule out modified cars because you'll find that all of us long-term owners invariably end up modding our cars for a specific reason: they perform better than OEM with some selected mods. So if you buy an unmodded car, you'll probably end up having to fork out for the mods (suspension).

Good luck with your search!
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

God yes I forgot evergreen

Comment

I'll second what exdos/ragerover said.

Uness it's going to be a garage queen, you may soon wish you had the mods on one of the cars you discounted. I wouldn't be without any of mine. And, yes, it is a black S54. Keep your eyes open but give yourself months rather than weeks to find the right car. They are all rare now.
            Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

sapphire black was originally the most common UK S54MC colour when they were new.

how many left, is the question that needs to be answered

Click here to email me

Comment

I've got one of however many black S54s there are - 34500 miles on the clock now - and I was going to sell earlier in the year when moving house.

Looking at the movements online I didn't think I'd get what I'd really want to part with it (upper end of the mooted £16-20k) so shelved the idea.

Problem is now that I've moved within a 5 min walk of work and it's no longer a daily driver - so when I take it out it's an absolute hoot and I can't bear the notion of selling it. Had one of those random stranger popping over to talk about the car for 10 minutes today.

As mentioned earlier gauging price is difficult. I went above my budget to buy this one because once I'd seen it and the paperwork, driven it (and reflected on the 12,700 miles it had when I took it on) it was worth it to me to find the extra.

Good luck in the hunt
                ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
                now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Comment

I'd go for the yellow one that's sat in Hexagons showroom, I think most people on here know about it and can give you the thumbs up about the condition and various mods that have been done.
                  All you have to do now is get it within your budget, but I would say if you could stretch a little then it could be had for not much above your max.
                  Of course i am a little biased.
                  2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

expensive but mint and great mods and a bmw warranty

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post

expensive but mint and great mods and a bmw warranty
                      I actually forgot about the warranty part, Brucie Bonus.
                      2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

Fully agree, I'd buy the one you may find in the best mood

Actually I've got three MCs, one of them is a S54, and it's a strange combination as it is Imola with Grey/black interior... but it's the one I could find in Spain and I couldn't leave it as in Europe is very hard to find one (and in Spain is almost impossible)

Good luck with the search in any case
                        Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Comment

Working...
                        X