Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrofit an OEM 6 disc changer - is this possible ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrofit an OEM 6 disc changer - is this possible ?

I have tried tonight to fit a bmw 6 disc changer into my 2001 M coupe. The car was orignally not specced with one from the factory.

There are wires going back and plugged into the amp which sits on top of the metal cage which should hold the cd changer.

I had assumed there would be some wires as part of this loom with which to attach the cd changer to. There are none.

My friend tells me that older BMWs were specced from the factory to either have or not have certain options and then were shipped with specific wiring for these options. He suspects this is the case with the M coupe.

As the loom is not just for the audio equipment (I think) then this would involve me buying a new loom and effectively re-wiring most of the car. This would be ridiculously expensive and is just not an option.

Anybody know if the above is correct or if its possible just to buy the correct wires etc for the cd changer ?

Any help at all will be appreciated

thanks in advance
    Ex 2001 S54
    New cars:
    Lotus Carlton
    350Z

If the wiring's not there I'd say it would be a faff and I'd just put in an aftermarket MP3 headunit player, that way you'll have more than 6-CD's worth of music on one disc anyway! For an OE looking one, go for a Becker headunit.

Comment

It looks like my friend was correct. The wiring is specific to the car when its ordered on the M coupes. So note to anyone looking to retro fit things in the future - check the wiring before hand.

I can get the data cable easily enough but the power connection is the problem as its part of the original audio wiring harness. You can buy replacements but it involves taking the entire car apart to put them in. Plus they are not cheap.

Does anybody know if I just cut/patch into the live 12V and earth that run to the amp and run wires from here to the CD changer if it will overload anything or cause a fire risk etc. I don't really know much about these things.

I can't just connect it straight to the battery otherwise the CD changer will always be powered and will drain the battery.
      Ex 2001 S54
      New cars:
      Lotus Carlton
      350Z

Comment

I can't find the cables - I've been told that they should be there now - so I'm not sure if they are there or not but surely I would have foound them by now ?

Ex 2001 S54
        New cars:
        Lotus Carlton
        350Z

Comment

Hi guys

It can't be done

the wiring harness with the power cable is part number 61108381048

the wiring harness without the power cable is part number 61108383756

Mine does not have it.

I'm going to have to run it straight from the battery or something
          Ex 2001 S54