No announcement yet.

Weighted Gear knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't order the one I ordered from "bremgo.de"!!! Order from the U.S. (there's a link in my more recent topic about problems with a bad ebayer)

Comment

Just for reference, does anyone know the weight of this gearknob (to be sure it's the similar/same knob). Or can anyone weigh one?

Comment

I've just weighed the OEM illuminated gear knob for you and it weighs 92.5gms. The weighted one that I have must weigh at least double that. I don't want to remove that from my car because I think keep removing them buggers the retaining clip.
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
          I've just weighed the OEM illuminated gear knob for you and it weighs 92.5gms. The weighted one that I have must weigh at least double that. I don't want to remove that from my car because I think keep removing them buggers the retaining clip.
          Thanks for that.

The gearknob just turned up at the door!! (not had any communication from the seller after I sent my email about refunding paypal if it wasn't enough though!). It weighs 160grams and feels like all the weight is at the top of the knob, does this sound about right?
          Last edited by c_w; 17-08-2007, 11:55 AM.

Comment

The extra weight could put strain on the gearbox - like driving with had on the gearnob.

I'm happy with the standard arrangement once the gear box is warm.
            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
              The extra weight could put strain on the gearbox - like driving with had on the gearnob.

WHAT!?!??!?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post

I have looked into this and its not a problem with the way the BMW gearstick/selector is oriented. Basically as the stick isnt very long and sits pretty vertical in all gears the force of any significant weight on the gearstick wont do much in terms of pushing the selector. I've confirmed this with a BMW master mechanic also who uses a weighted gearknob in his E39.
                Should have been on KW's from the Factory!

Comment

Originally posted by banana97 View Post
                  I have looked into this and its not a problem with the way the BMW gearstick/selector is oriented. Basically as the stick isnt very long and sits pretty vertical in all gears the force of any significant weight on the gearstick wont do much in terms of pushing the selector. I've confirmed this with a BMW master mechanic also who uses a weighted gearknob in his E39.
                  But what has this got to do with the inherent weight of the 'weighted' gearstick? The forward/backwards/sideways force of your hand controlling the gearstick is far far far far greater than the minor weight discrepancy between the OEM and 'weighted' gearstick. The only reason for fitting it is to make the gearchange SEEM 'smoother' 'more pleasant' (which it does). It is not a technical issue.

'As the stick isn't very long and sits pretty vertical in all gears the force of any significant weight on (you mean 'of') the gearstick wont do much in terms of pushing the selector'. I don't understand that atall. NO AMOUNT of vertical gearstick WEIGHT will push the gear selector. Only lateral force will change gears.

Banana97 - I hope that you didn't pay your 'BMW master mechanic' for his advice cos if you did you have been done good and proper
                  Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                    But what has this got to do with the inherent weight of the 'weighted' gearstick? The forward/backwards/sideways force of your hand controlling the gearstick is far far far far greater than the minor weight discrepancy between the OEM and 'weighted' gearstick. The only reason for fitting it is to make the gearchange SEEM 'smoother' 'more pleasant' (which it does). It is not a technical issue.

'As the stick isn't very long and sits pretty vertical in all gears the force of any significant weight on (you mean 'of') the gearstick wont do much in terms of pushing the selector'. I don't understand that atall. NO AMOUNT of vertical gearstick WEIGHT will push the gear selector. Only lateral force will change gears.

Banana97 - I hope that you didn't pay your 'BMW master mechanic' for his advice cos if you did you have been done good and proper

I think you've misunderstood what I said.

Since the gearstick sits pretty vertical - it therefore doesnt exhert much pivot force on the mechanism and therefore little lateral force on the selector. I didnt need to consult the mechanic for this as its pretty obvious, I just wanted to confirm with him how much lateral force would be required to cause any undue movement in the selector arm to cause damage.

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer in my first post ;)
                    Should have been on KW's from the Factory!

Comment

I use the Storm one.and can only sing its praises ! i cant possibly see that something that is so expertly machined along with its other merits would do any harm at all..if anything i would have thought the oposite to be true !!

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                        When I had a drive in Lee's MC back on the Welsh Weekend, I was particularly taken by the way his Whalen Shift Machine, which is basically a heavy gear knob, made changing gear so much easier than with my OEM gear knob.

I've wanted to retain the BMW leather gear knob appearance rather than have a metal one. A couple of months back, I found a source on ebay of BMW weighted gear knobs as at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-S...44719372QQrdZ1
                        I fitted the new gear knob and it does make a difference to gear changing. The BMW weighted knob isn't as heavy as the WSM but it's about an inch shorter than OEM. The weighted knob isn't illuminated, but otherwise it retains the look of the OEM. It's an absolute doddle to swap the knobs over.

Hi John...got one just like yours but with the exception that mine lights up...and what is cool about it, is that it lights up in the same colour as the dashboard and all de gauges...and not the original Red Light...very nice indeed. And yes, the shorter Gear knob makes the difference...it is very short, weights a little bit more and all that contribute to shorter throws and faster gear changes plus a better driving experience or I could put it, a better user experience, be it on a gentle drive, or a spirited drive.

But as I've said, it looks like yours in every bit, colour, size, etc.
                        ///M Coupe 2001 S54 Steel Grey - Paulo M.
                        -------------------------------------------
                        ----- Sporting Clube Portugal - Forever -----

Comment

don.juan

This will be the question everybody is going to ask. Where did you buy it?

From ebay? For sure I'd be interested in one.
                          Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                          2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                          1986 M635
                          1985 E28 M5
                          1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Originally posted by petecossie View Post
                            don.juan

This will be the question everybody is going to ask. Where did you buy it?

From ebay? For sure I'd be interested in one.

You're right...German Ebay...the guy has them all the time...and at the same price...look for:

BMW Short Shift M-Schaltknauf in Leder BELEUCHTET *NEU*

Comment

don.juan

how much does your illuminated version weigh ?
                              Col N.
                              Life is not a rehearsal !

Porsche Cayenne S
                              ex Audi S4 Avant
                              ex 2001 S54 Titanium, Black
                              ex Porsche 968

Comment

Originally posted by ZiggyCol View Post
                                don.juan

how much does your illuminated version weigh ?
                                About the same as the unilluminated version that exdos got...around 160 grams...I would say, 75% more than the OEM version...for me it feels perfect.
                                Last edited by don.juan; 24-10-2007, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X