Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > General Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to Seca Blue
Default Tired brakes

I've noticed recently that my brakes seem really average against the family CR-V or even the manky old Corsa I have.
I'd previously assumed it just has less assistance, but now I'm wondering if it might be something else.

Although a bit corroded and years old, the discs have plenty left, and the pads l(yellow stuff) ook OK, but again are several years old now - probably at least 7 years(guess I don't brake hard enough...

So I guess the question is, should I look at the discs, pads, or even go for a braided brake line - which worked a treat on the clutch?

Recent MOT was fine, and fluid was changed less than a year ago,

Cheers,

David.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:13 AM

I'd start with a fluid change and see if that makes any difference
Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 PM

Take it out and give the brakes a very aggressive re bed , 60 - 70 mph braking as hard as you can to 10 - 20 mph a dozen or so times so they are stinking , literally, hot and drive home the long way to let them cool off . It's worked for me a couple of times , but obviously keep your eye on the mirror !
It's also free so worth a try before you start spending money , although with pads at that age I'd keep an eye on them , or preferably replace them before you start the bed in procedure . It doesn't do anything any good on a car having it stood around
Old 14-10-2019, 03:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to Seca Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwirral View Post
Take it out and give the brakes a very aggressive re bed , 60 - 70 mph braking as hard as you can to 10 - 20 mph a dozen or so times so they are stinking , literally, hot and drive home the long way to let them cool off . It's worked for me a couple of times , but obviously keep your eye on the mirror !
It's also free so worth a try before you start spending money , although with pads at that age I'd keep an eye on them , or preferably replace them before you start the bed in procedure . It doesn't do anything any good on a car having it stood around
Yeah I'm gonna give that a go next weekend if it ever stops raining!

Are you suggesting that process is to help the discs or the pads though?