Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy fan in front of radiator.

Hi all,

Noticed as I turn on ignition now that there’s a lot of noise from the fan(s)in front of the radiator -more so as it spins up and not so much when it’s up to speed. Reverse happens when ignition is turned off.

Seem to be what looks like clips on two of the larger fan blades which look so clipped on that they’re not there accidentally but they’re in odd different positions with no obvious pattern. Can’t see that that wou,d get through the bonnet grills if it was detritus from the road.

No warning lights and no obvious overheating at the end of the commute today.

Sounds like it’s definitely in front of the radiator but there are two fans there. Anything to panic about before drivng it the long road to the mechanic of choice?

Cheers
    Attached Files

Pretty sure those clips are there for balancing the fan. Difficult to comment on the spinning up noise however that front fan is there for the aircon so if you turn it off it shouldn’t spin anyway.
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Thanks Ian,

Struggled to confirm what the fans were for using TIS and the Bentley manual. There’s a smaller fan front and centre (pusher fan?) that I’d assumed was the air con but the noise is still there when the air con is turned off in the cabin.

The larger fan with the clips appears to be the same part # as the one between radiator and engine.

I’m guessing it’s some sort of clutch or bearing component making the noise.

Comment

The radiator fan is controlled by a viscous coupling, perhaps that is faulty. Or it could be a water pump on the way out - this needs sorting ASAP. Try wiggling the blades of the radiator fan. There shouldn’t be any front to back play in it. If there is then it’s a good sign that the water pump is iffy. If you could video it starting up and switching off then that might help us to help too.
        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

There's one fan behind the radiator (viscous fan hung off the water pump) which spins all the time, locking when hot. The other one is in front of the radiator (or more specifically the a/c condenser radiator). This is electric and should sound like a regular fan in use. My guess is it's loose or something is resonating. Unless it has a modified thermoswitch, the a/c fan never runs without the aircon switched on.

Comment

Thanks both,

My diagnosing was faulty, turning off the air con does fix the issue.

Couldn’t have had a worse time to not run aircon:-)

Comment

Working...
            X