clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clock?

has anyone had to replace the dash board clock, mine no longer keeps the correct time. any idea where to get a replacement from?

It's VDO isn't it? Take it out, send it off to them, they'll repair it, fit it again.

I know Smiths (Caigauge) do that so I would imaging VDO offer the same service.

Comment

never thought about that, any idea on how i start to take it out??

thanks james

Comment

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my clock... can anyone advise on how to remove it?

thanks
        Andrew

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
        2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Originally posted by andrewturner View Post
          Hi, I'm having the same problem with my clock... can anyone advise on how to remove it?

thanks
          Andrew
          gauges nearly always fix from the back, so you need to get access behind the facia panel somehow

Comment

I phoned up VDO uk and they do not offer a repair service, although they do sell new guages which look similar...

Might see if I can find a local watch repair shop and try there first...

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
            2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

clock

theres a company selling a centre dash on ebay with gauges removed, might be worth a call to see if they still have the clock ( bmsparesuk 01279 417755) also this picture shows the back of the gauges but its not clear how they are fixed in.
              Last edited by Dave P; 14-03-2012, 10:46 PM.

Comment

might be of use? fleabay.... 330363739511

Comment

The VDO gauges are removed by unscrewing the 'retaining ring' on the back and removing them from the front. The 'retaining ring' (for want of a better description) is essentially a large white plastic nut that screws on the back of the gauge after it is pushed through the hole from the front. It is what appears to be the outside of the guages in the picture above.

Comment

Re how the gauges are fixed in, there is a white plastic sleeve which screws on to the back end of the gauge (which has a threaded body) - you can see the sleeve in the pic above. I have heard of people bending out the side of the trim enough toget a hand in behind them and then they can be unscrewed. And the obviously wiring just plugs straight into the back - generally unplugs very easily.

Re getting a replacement clock, they are particularly expensive new as compared to the other gauges. I have 2 extra clocks lying around - one for use as a spare in case mine ever goes out (common problem with them), and the other to be cannabalised for its chrome bezel (can be swapped out on to VDO Vision gauges - am planning on adding some extra gauges into my MC (and have added gauges into my Z3). Keep an eye out for a used one - I bought one of the clocks a couple of weeks ago off someone on Bimmerforums for US$25.
                    2000 Dakar MC
                    1999 Cosmos Z3 2.8
                    2004 545i Sport

Comment

I've changed the bulbs in mine before, and I got access by removing the screws on the sidetrim (from the footwell) and squeezed my hand up. It will give you sufficient access, but it all depends how tight the retraining screw is (you can only get one hand up there).
                      From Z3 MC to Z4 MC... glad to be back

Comment

right, thanks for all the pointers. tomorrow i'm going to look into taking out the clock..

Comment

lose the clock

in exchange for something more useful - I just had an oil pressure gauge installed instead. I am keeping the clock incase a future owner wants to restore the original set up though!
                          Just an idea.....
                          99 S50 Estoril, plated: Z3MC

Comment

An oil pressure gauge and ammeter would be good additions, especially now the cars are getting older.
                            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                              An oil pressure gauge and ammeter would be good additions, especially now the cars are getting older.
                              agree, the temperature gauge seems pretty pointless, would like to swap mine for a volt meter.

Comment

Working...
                              X