X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just like busses

A couple of weeks ago I bought an M4 to break
    Then I took a Comp pack in part ex for my sons Range Rover
    I then got a call from my locL dealer they have a car in with an engine in bits for sale would I be interested in it
    A guy bought it ( for £40k)and 509 miles later it was in with an engine fault
    The dealer stripped the engine and part of an exhaust valve was missing
    They asked the guy HD it been remapped he said yes and they voided the warranty.
    Estimate for new engine and 2 turbos ( none of this was.needed) £21.5 k in parts alone bloke decided he wanted a new M4 and just left it there told them to get what they could BMW now don’t rebuild motors I went to look at car and it was mint but everything was in boxes including the top end of engine in bits. Deal done and collected. New valve in engine fully rebuilt with genuine new parts and rebuilt in a 10 hr shift ( il do a write up on the engine rebuild with photos of anyone is interested) BMW HAD QUOTED 12 hrs on the engine alone ) I then got a call from a very well known Indy who heard I was rebuilding an M4 engine and could he call down. Of course I said
    I’m building the engine he then drops the bomb shell he’s just rebuilt an M3 and turned it over on a windy gun and bent valves etc and is afraid to rebuild himself

So now including mine I have 4 full ones in the garage and an engine he just happened to have in the back of his truck 😁

And for those of you who are wondering how BMW Or any other manufacturer know they’ve been mapped ....... well tune in next week ( as they used to say when I was a kid) As per my other post I’m looking for an alternative to photobucket. Let me know if your interested in photos and notes from the build
    [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Interesting!

It never rains but it pours etc.

I have a Giulia Quad and a few people have had there’s mapped, I’m leaving mine well alone! I know in theory it should be ok but it’s just not worth the risk! The 2.9 V6 in the Giulia is at something like 26 PSI boost already, similar state of tune to the M3/4 maybe.

Comment

The trick with mapping and hiding it is simple
      Each time the ecu updates it adds a number to its internal counter

So day it leave the factory on 1 each time it has an update or anything it clicks up another number. This number is also recorded at the dealers and they link it back to factory
      If it’s say had 5 updates it will be sitting at 6
      So joe soap comes along sticks a cheeky remaps on it goes to 7
      Any issues they will know it’s on a different number
      Also as well as the number it records the date
      So easy job just change them
      BUT. As it’s written in code which is all 1,s and 0,s
      It’s knowing where to look
      The man with the cheap maps can look he just over rights your old one job fkd

26psi of boost I’d a lot. The M4 runs 18.1 std

Boost is a killer on engines as boost creates heat which is your biggest enemy
      If you want more power cheapest and easiest way is to cool
      Your charge by either a charge cooler or meth kit

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
        The trick with mapping and hiding it is simple
        Each time the ecu updates it adds a number to its internal counter

So day it leave the factory on 1 each time it has an update or anything it clicks up another number. This number is also recorded at the dealers and they link it back to factory
        If it’s say had 5 updates it will be sitting at 6
        So joe soap comes along sticks a cheeky remaps on it goes to 7
        Any issues they will know it’s on a different number
        Also as well as the number it records the date
        So easy job just change them
        BUT. As it’s written in code which is all 1,s and 0,s
        It’s knowing where to look
        The man with the cheap maps can look he just over rights your old one job fkd

26psi of boost I’d a lot. The M4 runs 18.1 std

Boost is a killer on engines as boost creates heat which is your biggest enemy
        If you want more power cheapest and easiest way is to cool
        Your charge by either a charge cooler or meth kit
        I got this wrong! it's actually 20psi circa 1.4 Bar. But confusingly some reviews mention a peak of 35 PSI which can't be right, perhaps its above and below atmospheric etc.

What about piggy back ecu's, can they detect one of those?

I tried fitting a JB4 onto my previous M135i, but actually took that off as I didn't like what it did, made it faster but didn't like the power curve.

Comment

Very interesting thread.
          Is the issue with tracing mainly if the car has warranty or is there an insurance implication?
          Never thought about the cooling issue, worth a think.
          I had a remap on an older car from a proper outfit and was very impressed
          S54 M Coupe
          D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Interesting read

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
              I got this wrong! it's actually 20psi circa 1.4 Bar. But confusingly some reviews mention a peak of 35 PSI which can't be right, perhaps its above and below atmospheric etc.

What about piggy back ecu's, can they detect one of those?

I tried fitting a JB4 onto my previous M135i, but actually took that off as I didn't like what it did, made it faster but didn't like the power curve.
              Piggy back is ok as you take it off before it goes to dealers BUT the cheap piggy backs just foot the car that it’s cold and richen up the mixture

The Lichfield TD performance ones plug between all sensors and box these are good

People like evolve and dms know the score too the maps we do are the same. However you get what u pay for like most things in life

Comment

Originally posted by Howiez View Post
                Very interesting thread.
                Is the issue with tracing mainly if the car has warranty or is there an insurance implication?
                Never thought about the cooling issue, worth a think.
                I had a remap on an older car from a proper outfit and was very impressed
                Only an issue on warranty but I guess if you want mad and killed someone insurance co might have a look

Comment

Temperature wise 1 degree drop in intake temperature is with 2 hp

Turbos are in reality an air pump they are ramming more air into the same space .... the cylinder. To this you add the correct percentage of fuel bobs your fathers brother

But compressing air creates heat try the old pushbike pump trick
                  Put your thumb over the end and pump like mad quite soon you won’t be able to to h the body of the pump

Comment

Working...
                  X