Engine - brake effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightweight flywheel

No mention in Andrew Turner's comprehensive box (reams and reams) of handover notes. Good thinking though.

Current: S50 Estoril

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
      think you will find with a lighter flywheel you will feel less engine braking as less reciprocal mass ( big word for a morning)
      I thought it's the opposite is true - a lighter flywheel will give more engine braking. A big lumbering flywheel will want to maintain the engine's revs, where a light one will mean the engine wants to drop quickly and it's the engine where the braking comes from?

Comment

Seized dmf?

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
          I thought it's the opposite is true - a lighter flywheel will give more engine braking. A big lumbering flywheel will want to maintain the engine's revs, where a light one will mean the engine wants to drop quickly and it's the engine where the braking comes from?
          yep your right ill shut up
          [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Drag effect on overrun

8 years on, I find it is an inherent characteristic, as said before, big engine, normally aspirated and a lot of heavy moving parts = faster scrubbing of speed than most cars, but no where near a 4 wheel Land Rover, come off the accelerator on one of those and you are kissing the windscreen sharpish!
            JKE11Y

Comment

JKE11Y Land Rover note reminded me of something else,

Has your LSD got a shorter final drive? It will also increase lift-off engine braking effect.

Comment

Right. Again!
                Rolling with 3.73

Comment

Not been around for a while on here.

No lightweight freewheel on it during my ownership.

I found the engine breaking was more pronounced when the ac was on, however it's a characteristic of the car IMO.

Hope you're getting on ok with it.

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
                  2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Cheers

Hi Andrew. Pretty sure you are right, especially noting the AC has an increased impact. Just my lack of miles under the belt making me twitchy.

I hope you have settled on a suitable steed now?

Current: S50 Estoril

Comment

Mine almost self-drives at low speeds with the aircon on, as if the idle is raised.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                        Mine almost self-drives at low speeds with the aircon on, as if the idle is raised.
                        My red one used to do the same thing!!! Thought it was only that car

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by SeaFury View Post
                          Hi Andrew. Pretty sure you are right, especially noting the AC has an increased impact. Just my lack of miles under the belt making me twitchy.

I hope you have settled on a suitable steed now?
                          3k in a year isn't bad for one of these. That's about what I used to do.

Yes thanks, 911 didn't do it for me so am driving an M3, couldn't be happier to be honest (well if I was in a coupe perhaps :) )

We all love a picture ;

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
                          2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Working...
                          X