Brake part prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c_w View Post
    OEM [front] discs are the only choice. An aftermarket disc won't offer the same performance but they can sometimes cost more (slotted/drilled etc) and they will always be 1-piece. The OEM brake discs are quite "exotic" really mixing lighter aluminium bells with a steel disc so not bad for the cost.

OEM floaters over any kind of slotted/drilled aftermerket one-piece.

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
      No chance! They're usually those dimpled type anodised gold discs.

OEM [front] discs are the only choice. An aftermarket disc won't offer the same performance but they can sometimes cost more (slotted/drilled etc) and they will always be 1-piece. The OEM brake discs are quite "exotic" really mixing lighter aluminium bells with a steel disc so not bad for the cost.
      didn't think so, my rear brakes are now 10 years old! so will replace with oem.

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
        didn't think so, my rear brakes are now 10 years old! so will replace with oem.
        I just my rear pads and tyres the other day - original pads, original tyres, disks still have plenty of meat on. Only covered 33k in 10 years though...

Comment

Just took receipt of a set of yellowstuff pads today - first departure from OEM.... I've been listening to Chris too much!

Regarding discs, the guy who services the old girl mentioned on the last MOT that the discs were quote "slightly pitted". Probably just doing his cvic duty as they look fine to me, but how many miles should a set cover given normal road use? Mine are original and now on 28k (i.e. similar to Keith).

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. N View Post
            Regarding discs, the guy who services the old girl mentioned on the last MOT that the discs were quote "slightly pitted". Probably just doing his cvic duty as they look fine to me, but how many miles should a set cover given normal road use? Mine are original and now on 28k (i.e. similar to Keith).
            Mine are the same. I guess its a little pitting due to only being used 3k a year or so.

Some places can skim the disk (or though there are some that wont do it on a floater as the disk can move slightly from the bell), but I have read on many occasions people (don't continue to read if you are adverse to hearing about things not done 'properly') have very lightly wet and dry sanded the surface to remove mild pitting.

I may even try this on mine, although the pitting is so mild I don't think it'll really need it.

Comment

I have found that every other pad replacement requires new discs over 130K miles.
              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Working...
              X