No announcement yet.

Brake Pads - Yellow Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green stuff is a pad recommended for cars under 200bhp.

Red is recommended for cars over 200bhp

Yellow is a performance option for those who require an uprated pad to cope with hard braking, whilst still retaining a disc-friendly and road-usable pad.

I have no idea why anyone in an MC or even Honda Civic Type R would go green?

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
      I've been using Yellows for about 4 years now and not really noticed a bad set (probably 1.5 sets a year)! so may have been a very short production period!

I saw those at £69.99 a few weeks back but think they've gone up now? (£77.99). That's still the cheapest delivered price on ebay though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Front-EBC-Yell...#ht_3678wt_912
      Yes, it was a short production period they told me.

You are also right re the eBay seller - that price has gone up within the last 5 weeks!

Comment

I got the yellowstuff front and rears for jus tover £100 delivered (£103 I think) but it was the last set of fronts the seller had (about 6 weeks ago).

I've fitted on my current discs but not ran enough to comment on if thats OK (but should be). My discs look 50% worn to me but did not want to upgrade discs until I checked out the pads as if they did not work for me BBK was on the cards (would have been overkill and so I'm hoping yellowstuff will meet my requirements). If I'm happy with them this year (will do about 750 miles before winter hibernation) then I'll fit new discs and get the calipers refurbed next year
        VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
          I've fitted on my current discs but not ran enough to comment on if thats OK (but should be). My discs look 50% worn to me but did not want to upgrade discs until I checked out the pads as if they did not work for me BBK was on the cards (would have been overkill and so I'm hoping yellowstuff will meet my requirements).
          Mine were fitted to discs which were about 30% worn, and have bedded in superbly thanks to the marginally abrasive bedding-in compound. It makes them noisy for the first 300 miles, and took 450 miles total until they were silent.

With regard to a BBK Jonttt, do you currently have braided lines + 5.1 fluid? This upgrade made the single biggest difference to the brakes, regardless of pad choice.

Awesome upgrade (perhaps the best performance mod for the money I have done), and unless you are planning serious track work will 100% meet and exceed your requirements when used with Yellows and OE floaters.

Originally posted by Neil M
          Just posing a question since I didn't know anything about green stuff, but thanks for the information Keith.
          No worries Neil

Comment

Yep thats my logic ie despite the fact I would love a BBK for cosmetic reasons alone (I know I'm sad) I can't justify £3k+ when my new setup should suffice.

I had goodrich lines fitted and new fluid a couple of months ago (they were included in the big box of accessories I got with the car when I bought it, previous owners had not bothered fitting them, still in original box with receipt ;-).

I had that work done at same time as H&R ARB's + braided clutch hose and yep one hell of a difference

But it did not stop the brake fade (in fact made it worse for some reason )
            VIDEO or Journal

Comment

It could just be your fluid was fine - the braided hoses just firm up the pedal feel a bit but neither do anything to reduce fade, but then shouldn't make it worse either.

Comment

c_w I'm disappointed in you, it was said in jest as I was able to drive the car harder with a better setup on fast B roads and it emphasised the braking weakneses more ie even more brake fade
                VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Ah ic!

...but you drive a Roadster??

Last edited by c_w; 10-08-2010, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Chris, Jonttt, Keith and co, many thanks for all your insights and suggestions on this one. I've ordered a set of the pads from LK Performance for 77 squidditch, seems a fair price. Currently away in NZ on holiday (closest I've come to seeing one of ours is a 2.8 roadster btw)... anyhoo didn't really have time to wait for the 20% discount code chris mentioned as the car is booked in to ML when I get back.
                    Anyway, really appreciate all of your help and advice so thanks again, will report results once they've bedded in.
                    Cheers!!!!!

Comment

these look cheap, doesn't say z3mc but same part number?
                      £71.30 inc delivery.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-M3-FRONT-E...91588089782960

Comment

when fitting yellowstuff pads do I need the EBC wear indicators as well?

Comment

No, if your current ones have not been triggered they can be made to fit with a bit of tinkering (there are only 2, one up front, one rear ;-)

If they have been triggered then you may as well get the EBC ones which I think are c£11 each.
                          VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
                            No, if your current ones have not been triggered they can be made to fit with a bit of tinkering (there are only 2, one up front, one rear ;-)

If they have been triggered then you may as well get the EBC ones which I think are c£11 each.
                            I bought new ones, part numbers EFA 065 & EFA 045 £11 & £15 from ebay.

Comment

I've re-used mine in the past, they sometimes break up a bit though, but the sensors on mine have long gone and I just snipped them off and tied them up against the body

Comment

I'm changing my pads to yellowstuff this weekened (brake lines, clutch cable and fluids were just done by my indy). I've never changed pads myself before - anything I should eb aware of ? Is it easy enough to get them off ? I've noted what is said in this thread re the wear indicators.

Thanks in advance for help.

Comment

Working...
                                X