Engine - brake effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine - brake effect

I'm hoping it's just my imagination, but the old girl seems to have developed an odd character.

Whilst driving and then lifting fully off the throttle, there is a noticeable braking effect which I don't think I have noticed before. It is a similar feeling to an auto box shifting down. Intermittent as well.

Is this normal, or potentially a sign of an issue?

Any ideas more than welcome

Current: S50 Estoril

There is a fair amount of braking effect off-throttle compared with other cars. Biggish, high compression will do that I suppose.

Comment

Does your throttle cable need adjusting?
      /// Exdos ///
      "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Throttle cable

Exdos, not sure how the throttle cable would affect the issue. I would have thought idle setting would be more appropriate, but that sits around 800-850 rpm (after high-idling for a short while after starting), which seems steady and reasonable.

Any further detail? Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaFury View Post
          Exdos, not sure how the throttle cable would affect the issue. I would have thought idle setting would be more appropriate, but that sits around 800-850 rpm (after high-idling for a short while after starting), which seems steady and reasonable.

Any further detail? Cheers.
          I would agree, but if you've suddenly noticed something different with the throttle response (albeit on lift-off), it would appear that you've become aware of something different relating to the throttle so perhaps it's worth investigating, otherwise I'm wondering why you've recently become aware of engine braking?
          /// Exdos ///
          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Engine braking

Originally posted by exdos View Post
            I would agree, but if you've suddenly noticed something different with the throttle response (albeit on lift-off), it would appear that you've become aware of something different relating to the throttle so perhaps it's worth investigating, otherwise I'm wondering why you've recently become aware of engine braking?
            I think C_W may be correct in pointing out that this is normal and I am just becoming more aware (or paranoid) of the car's behaviour. Only 3000 miles under my belt in a year so any creak, rattle or nuance is still grabbing my attention.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

It could be there's some other drag on the car that's causing faster deceleration when there's no power being applied - check none of the brakes are getting hot, check the handbrake is fully releasing, etc.

You could easily discount this issue: I know I can roll mine while I'm sitting in the driver seat just by sticking one foot out of the door and pushing with it.

Comment

are you normally driving a turbo diesel car day to day , as cw says , large high compression na engine , m coupe is very old school these days , engine drag is part of the package

Comment

Originally posted by paulwirral View Post
                  are you normally driving a turbo diesel car day to day , as cw says , large high compression na engine , m coupe is very old school these days , engine drag is part of the package
                  I love it, means you can just lift off for speed cameras with no need to use the brake...!
                  2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Seafury,recently my girlfriend mentioned that while following behind me that once i come of the gas my car seems to slow fairly quickly,having owned my car for a long period i can assure that my brakes ar not binding,my throttle cable is properly adjusted and that my car has presented this quality for many years now,you will get used to it in fact its a great quirk..as when driven properly the need to brake becomes less!

Comment

Cheers for the advice/comforting words

Thanks chaps,

I shall keep an eye on the situation and check a few things out, especially checking that it is a consistent effect rather than intermittent.

If anything develops I shall be right back.

Cheers again.

Comment

Worth checking for a sticking caliper but you should notice some pulling to either side you would think?

Comment

Do you know if your car has a light weight flywheel fitted instead of OEM?
                          It will result in harder lift-off engine braking but it should have been quite noticeable since the first time driving the car...

Comment

think you will find with a lighter flywheel you will feel less engine braking as less reciprocal mass ( big word for a morning)
                            [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

I thought its in my head!!
                              Indeed light flywheel...

Comment

Working...
                              X