Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Good Idea Dave! I'm going to copy a post I made elsewhere:

There has always been a bit of mystery around the number of 2001/2 AC Schnitzer S54 M Coupes sold in South Africa.

The number that I have always known is 35. However, a few resources have mooted that it is actually around 40.

I have been doing a bit of research and I can confirm the following:
                          39 S54 M Coupes were built for the South African market and all 39 were imported and sold in South Africa. I have verified that all 39 have history in RSA.
                          Unfortunately I can't confirm if some were not given the Schnitzer treatment, say 35 Schnitzer and 4 standard - that is my next project.

Of the 39, the first car is Oxford Green and was a pre-production prototype not originally intended for preservation, however it was sold to a customer in Gauteng. This car is unique in South Africa as it has a slightly different spec to the other 38 cars, it is also the only car in Oxford Green.

The second car built for SA is Imola Red over Black. This car was intended as a press vehicle and was used as such, it was later sold on to a customer also in Gauteng. This was the first car produced in the regular South African spec.

The third car was Sapphire Black over Laguna Seca blue. This car was used as a press vehicle in South Africa and is featured in the Drive Magazine article shared by earlier in this thread. This colour combination is actually unique, as the only other black over blue coupe is Sapphire Black over Estoril Blue.

The last S54 car built for SA is a Steel Grey over Black M Coupe. This coupe and the Oxford Green car mentioned above are the only ones of their colour in South Africa.

The colours for the 39 S54 M Coupes in South Africa are as follows:
                          Oxford Green: 1
                          Steel Grey: 1
                          Alpine White: 2
                          Estoril Blue: 6
                          Imola Red: 6
                          Sapphire Black: 9
                          Titanium Silver: 14

The colour combos are as follows:
                          There are 12 unique Cars:
                          Green/Grey
                          Black/LSBlue
                          Black/EstBlue
                          Black/Grey
                          Black/Red
                          Black/Kiwi
                          Silver/EstBlue
                          Silver/Red
                          Silver/Grey
                          EstBlue/LSBlue
                          EstBlue/Black
                          Grey/Black

These cars have a twin:
                          Red/Red
                          White/Black

There are 4 of each of these combos:
                          Red/Black
                          Black/Black
                          EstBlue/EstBlue

There are 11 cars like this:
                          Silver/Black

The next step is to try and establish two things. The first is to find out if any of these 39 cars were not given the ACS treatment, and then to see if I can find out how many are still left on the road...

Comment

I have a few questions about these cars, Is it known how the cars were sent to SA i.e did they have all the works done by the importer on arrival? also what is the full spec of the modifications

(wheels/suspension/short shift kit/pedals?). Do the cars have a BMW cat delete pipe and different ecu? if so there must be BMW part numbers for these?? What size tyres were fitted to the rear wheels as ACS recommended more than one size?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                              I have a few questions about these cars, Is it known how the cars were sent to SA i.e did they have all the works done by the importer on arrival? also what is the full spec of the modifications

(wheels/suspension/short shift kit/pedals?). Do the cars have a BMW cat delete pipe and different ecu? if so there must be BMW part numbers for these?? What size tyres were fitted to the rear wheels as ACS recommended more than one size?
                              The cars were brought in as standard S54 M Coupes and the modifications were done at BMW's Rosslyn Plant near Pretoria.

JSN Motors (A BMW dealership in Jo'burg) comes into the picture because they were the sole importers of the AC Schnitzer range at the time, as such BMW SA teamed up with JSN to kit out the M Coupes. Once modified, the cars were sold through BMW's regular dealership network across the country.

The cars were all fitted with 18" Type III wheels (shod in 255/35 and 225/40 tyres - Bridgestone RE040 on my car).

The suspension upgrade consists of front and rear AC Schnitzer springs and ACS/Bilstein shocks.

I will need to confirm the cat, exhaust and ECU situation when I get a chance.

The short shift kit was installed on all the cars, but they weren't all fitted with ACS pedals or handbrake lever, but many owners/dealers had them fitted as an option or later.
                              Last edited by MCSSchnitzer; 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM. Reason: Corrected the suspension info.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSSchnitzer View Post
                                The cars were brought in as standard S54 M Coupes and the modifications were done at BMW's Rosslyn Plant near Pretoria.

JSN Motors (A BMW dealership in Jo'burg) comes into the picture because they were the sole importers of the AC Schnitzer range at the time, as such BMW SA teamed up with JSN to kit out the M Coupes. Once modified, the cars were sold through BMW's regular dealership network across the country.

The cars were all fitted with 18" Type III wheels (shod in 255/35 and 225/40 tyres - Bridgestone RE040 on my car).

The suspension upgrade consists of front and rear AC Schnitzer springs, and ACS rear shocks. The front shocks are the M units.

I will need to confirm the cat, exhaust and ECU situation when I get a chance.

The short shift kit was installed on all the cars, but they weren't all fitted with ACS pedals or handbrake lever, but many owners/dealers had them fitted as an option or later.

Thanks for the info , I have seen pictures of a Imola ACS/SA Coupe and that looks like it has ACS front shocks and springs (may have been fitted afterwards?)

http://www.carforums.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57323

Comment

Working...
                                X