Stiff gear lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff gear lever

I’ve always thought my gear changes have been too clunky and heavy. And never as smooth as I would expect. I’ve had the gearbox oil changed with no luck. Also the gear stick never really sits where you want it too. It seems like it’s not falling back into the middle. So rarely does it slip into 3rd when you push it straight up.
    Is this a common thing? Any quick fixes or just learn to live with it?
    Last edited by Chris W; 26-09-2018, 09:15 PM.
    2000 Z3M coupe, Titansilber Silver with Kyalami/Black seats
    2001 e39 540i, Topaz Blue
    1971 2002tii, Bristol Grey

Previous

2013 M135i

I’m not an expert however I understand that the shift pins are prone to wear and can cause the issues you’re experiencing. That said, I thought they were part of the gearbox so seems odd that you’ve still got the problem if the gearbox has been changed. Anyone else got an idea?
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
      I’m not an expert however I understand that the shift pins are prone to wear and can cause the issues you’re experiencing. That said, I thought they were part of the gearbox so seems odd that you’ve still got the problem if the gearbox has been changed. Anyone else got an idea?
      I’m an idiot! I meant to say gearbox oil!!! It’s the original gearbox, it used to have a short shifter which I had changed back to an original. The short shifter was worse!
      I’ve changed the original post to say gearbox oil. Sorry for the confusion.
      2000 Z3M coupe, Titansilber Silver with Kyalami/Black seats
      2001 e39 540i, Topaz Blue
      1971 2002tii, Bristol Grey

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Ah, makes sense now! Shift pins is probably the answer then. Gearbox out to do that I think.
        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Guide here for replacing the shift pins,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19931

Comment

Working...
          X