No announcement yet.

ARB's before and after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 rear springs ( heavier rating ) and kwv3's all round ..... the problem with the kw rear springs is that they are fully compressed whilst stationary so they can't perform properly when they are asked to. I forgot to mention that my car is an M roadster so it may be slightly heavier ????? not sure though.
    front strong strutt / body + butt strutt.
    whats the difference in wight between a coupe and roadster anyone know the facts?
    The Mod Father

Comment

Originally posted by snatch View Post
      whats the difference in wight between a coupe and roadster anyone know the facts?
      From t'interweb so not 100% reliable: Z3 Coupe.....1390kg / Z3 Roadster.......1399kg

Comment

. the problem with the kw rear springs is that they are fully compressed whilst stationary so they can't perform properly when they are asked to.
        On superficial inspection the rear KW springs do look to be fully compressed (coil-bound) but they're not. I've never yet felt my KW V3 suspension hit the bump stops at the back end and if you set up the dampers for our crap public roads, they can cope with the worst of them. I also ran OEM rear dampers with KW rear springs for a short time, (including a trip around the Scottish Highlands) with no problem.
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by fok View Post
          From t'interweb so not 100% reliable: Z3 Coupe.....1390kg / Z3 Roadster.......1399kg
          I don't think this is right, according to SportAuto supertests m roadster vs m coupe weighted 1410 vs 1445kg.

Comment

E46 rear springs ( heavier rating ) and kwv3's all round ..... the problem with the kw rear springs is that they are fully compressed whilst stationary so they can't perform properly when they are asked to. I forgot to mention that my car is an M roadster so it may be slightly heavier ????? not sure though.
            front strong strutt / body + butt strutt.
            Coupe probably a bit heavier as it has the metal roof and a lot more rear boot trim.

Intersting you run E46 rear springs - I didn't think these fitted! What model are they off? are they lowering springs "for E46" or M3? What's the ride height like?

Comment

Weights of MR/MC

Lots of ways of how you weigh a car--dry/with fluids and how much etc.I went on my local council weighbridge which is calibrated every week due to the house rubbish collections being paid to the contractors, on a weight basis.

In with a half tank of gas + - @ 1422 K, new SS exhaust system fitted and Reweighed @ 1400 K,s--questioned the pricise readout--and after moving off to allow a rubbish lorry on and went on again--same answer. Would expect as said, Roadster must be lighter.
              safetyfast

Comment

Originally posted by ZZZEMMCO View Post
                In with a half tank of gas + - @ 1422 K
                My stock MC was 1420kg with half a tank of petrol on a weighbridge so it must be quite accurate.

I was interested to see how that compared to what the manufacturers claim.

Comment

Weight depends on equipment and mods, but curb weight usually tested in magazines is always full fluids (unless specified otherwise). This is also true for SA's weight 1445kg m coupe.

I've recently weighted my MC with fluids: 1380kg. Lightly modded, lightweight 18", 6-speed... ok for these times when current gt3 is 1460kg

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                    Coupe probably a bit heavier as it has the metal roof and a lot more rear boot trim.

Intersting you run E46 rear springs - I didn't think these fitted! What model are they off? are they lowering springs "for E46" or M3? What's the ride height like?
                    Sorry big mistake I know .... but I meant to put E36 = just realised.
                    The Mod Father

Comment

ARB's are now on and after a few miles of mixed roads, first impressions are that it is an improvement.

It feels more composed than before with the only negative so far being a slightly bumbier ride which IMO only adds to the "Event" feeling of driving the car.

Thanks for all the input and advice, I can definately recommend this mod!

Camber & toe settings next!

Comment

Gentlemen, let's refresh this thread a bit!

@fok: So, how are your ARB's now? Satisfied? Does the bumpier ride come from front or rear? What are your settings?

I've come to a point, where the car rides a bit too much on the side of understeer for me. I have KW V3 with E46 rear springs and stock ARB's, switched front top mounts (camber = -2.75). I've recently fitted new hi-grip tires (kinda semi-slick) in stagger 225/245. Should be close to optimal for the street. But the car still seems to understeer a bit in medium speed corners, mid-corner (low speed I don't notice because of handbrake, high speed I don't drive much). I'm always using trail-braking, which reduces understeer.

The car is driven on the street, so I don't want to make it stiffer that is. But I'm contemplating to try front aftermarket ARB. It seems to be the consensus, that higrip MC's need to be stiffened upfront. E46 M3's seem setup similiar, at least if we compare ordinary with CSL. For the rear, some even remove rear ARB. And square setup is also quite common in US auto-x preped cars. So that's what I'm considering:
                        a) first fit H&R front ARB, set to soft
                        b) if this doesn't help, I'm switching to 245/245 or 245/255 tires

Comments? Suggestions? Debate please :)

Comment

The biggest difference to my low speed understeer for me was swapping the top mounts but you've already done that.

However, the roll bars really do transform the handling for the better. They really does finish the handling of the car. Perhaps try it on stiff front, soft rear. I find the ride is just fine.

On track I use 235/255, I think a square setup isn't necessary and might not suit the M Coupe from an aesthetic point of view, merely because you wont at least 245/255 out back and this may cause a problem fitting on the front. I've run 245/255 before without issues though, but front rim is on 8J and tbh the tyre was too wide for the rim and had overhang.

However I did a couple of laps of the Ring with an E46 M3 that had a square setup (albeit extreme) 10Jx18 all round running 265s! and the turn-in was amazing, it really was darting about and pointy.
                          Last edited by c_w; 02-05-2012, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                            Perhaps try it on stiff front, soft rear. I find the ride is just fine.
                            Have do you have it set up? Does the ride harshness (even if small) comes more from front or rear?

Oh, is there any other choice than H&R's?

Comment

H&R ARBs really do improve the handling of the MC, even if you've already got KWV3. Set them on their softest settings F&R. Then set up the KWV3 with the rear pretty soft (rebound and bump) and the front on medium (rebound and bump). See how you go with that set up, and if that doesn't satisfy you, play around with the front toe settings, but only make small changes (no more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn each side) at a time and test. if you have toe out it will make the turn-in very sharp. Personally, i would keep the stagger.
                              /// Exdos ///
                              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by inside View Post
                                Have do you have it set up? Does the ride harshness (even if small) comes more from front or rear?

Oh, is there any other choice than H&R's?
                                The ride becomes a fraction less able to deal with bumps on one wheel as the bars try to keep the car level, so it is slightly more lumpy in that respect in slow urban roads. It's difficult to say now as I've had them so long and the things you notice straight away you forget about (one is rear traction out corners; it's not an issue at all but you can feel it's different on the first few drives with the bars on).

Eibach, if they do them, are generally softer than H&R but honestly the H&Rs are not bad at all in terms of ride and I would never take them off.

Mine were on the first setting front and rear but have had the front on stiff for a while with no bad effects, but I suspect the drop links flex as the bar is so thick. One thing I would recommend is to beef up the rear drop link brackets on the trailing arm; they are too flimsy to deal with the uprated bars long-term; just needs some small triangulation to strengthen them. Interestingly watching an old Wheeler Dealers on Discovery recently they had an old 635CSi which has similar rear suspension setup but the trailing arm bracket was much better/stronger utilising a horizontal bolt through two eyelets on the trailing arm (the droplink has single eye like the bottom of the damper which fits in the middle).
                                Last edited by c_w; 03-05-2012, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X