Rogue Engineering top mounts with OEM dampers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue Engineering top mounts with OEM dampers

Has anyone fitted the Rogue RSM's with the stock dampers? I fitted mine yesterday and found that with the dust/dirt covers on the dampers there was virtually no room to get to the mounting nuts on the top mounts. Definitely couldn't get a socket on to them to be able to torque them properly. Finally ended taking the wheels off and doing the best I could with an open ended spanner, and even then I'm not convinced they're tightened properly. What has everybody else done? Did you remove the dirt covers from the dampers, or find some ingenious way to get to the nuts?

Thanks.
    2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

old post but I took a picture of my Rogue top mounts and ACS suspension,

the bolts nearly touch the plastic cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
      Has anyone fitted the Rogue RSM's with the stock dampers? I fitted mine yesterday and found that with the dust/dirt covers on the dampers there was virtually no room to get to the mounting nuts on the top mounts. Definitely couldn't get a socket on to them to be able to torque them properly. Finally ended taking the wheels off and doing the best I could with an open ended spanner, and even then I'm not convinced they're tightened properly. What has everybody else done? Did you remove the dirt covers from the dampers, or find some ingenious way to get to the nuts?

Thanks.
      In that situation I find that a standard 13 mm socket is no good because it's too short, so I use a longer 13mm socket (one which will accept the long thread of the bolt) on the end of an extension bar attached to a ratchet handle. You'll find the same issue with the exhaust brackets too and my solution works for that too.
      /// Exdos ///
      "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Yup Dave, that looks very similar to the space available with the OEM dampers.

John, unfortunately that wouldn't work in this situation - as can be seen from Dave's picture above, there simply isn't the space between the nut and the damper cover to be able to slide a socket on. Absolute pain.
        Last edited by Hatter; 08-07-2012, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post

John, unfortunately that wouldn't work in this situation - as can be seen from Dave's picture above, there simply isn't the space between the nut and the damper cover to be able to slide a socket on. Absolute pain.
          That's a shame. That's the first time I've seen this reported on here. My long 13mm socket has much thinner sides than my shorter ones and this also works fitting the nuts on the top mounts with a Strongstrut strutbrace, where the short socket wont work. It might be worth buying a cheap 13 socket and grinding the sides down; the torque required for the top mount nuts isn't very high?
          /// Exdos ///
          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Good idea about grinding down a socket - might give that a try. I've got them on fairly tight with an open ended spanner, 1 degree at a time! I wonder if it hasn't been discussed here before because most people use them with aftermarket dampers? Or, perhaps leave the dust covers off of the OEM ones?

Comment

My DIY top mounts which fit the same way with dampers using the OEM dust covers are the same; I just use an open 13mm spanner to undo and tighten them up! Not been a problem, although the risk of rounding is higher and it's slightly faffy getting the nuts on as you have to drop the damper to the bottom on the thread to allow the nut to get on the thread. Although usually there is enough flex in the top mount to all a socked on one side and then use an open ended on the other one.

Comment

Working...
              X