Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting H&R Anti Roll Bars

Hi All,

This really is a bit of a makeshift write-up and it'll probably help until someone that has more time than me can do a proper one.

As we all know the MC in standard guise has a terrible tendancy to roll in corners. This is most likely exasperated by many ageing components linking to the subframes and suspension system.

Here's a pic of my old car which says it all really;

My current S50 is one of the earliest in the UK, if not the earliest. Its done 75k and is in pretty good condition other than a bit of superficial rust on many bolts, diff and trailing arms underneath.

It's well documented than the best mod bar done, is to upgrade your anti roll bars. This brings immediate improvement to the overal handling of the car even on an aging stock suspension system.

Because I dont drive my car hard anymore, or even drive it that often at all, I am probably OK to fit these without doing any further mods. However if you track your car and fit uprated ARB's, I would strongly suggest that the RTA drop link mounts are strengthened. This is because the OEM mounts appear to be very weak AND combined with a bit of rust, could see them easily break off.

So lets get started;

Tools wise you are going need;

Axle stands
    A decent jack
    Socket set
    13/14/15/16mm open ended spanners
    A few generic exhaust mount bolts (as the ones being removed are usually very rusty)

New kit;
    H&R ARB kit available from ECP
    Front drop links - OEM available from ECP (only required if your orginals are worn and or rusty)
    I changed my rear top mounts at the same time too

Jack car up and place on stands;

Rusty back box bolts;

Had to cut a few off;

Dizzy approves;

Undo back boxes and remove from hangers;

SS Back boxes removed;

Interesting look;

Here's a good picture of the new ARB bolted on and in position

This picture encapsulates the need for the RTA DL mounts to be strengthened;

Boot floor / diff mount welds not looking best (I will address this next winter)

All that you need to do now is refit the back boxes and lower the car back down and you've completed the hardest part.

The front ARB is an absolute piece of cake. Remove the wheels and undo the drop links. There are then two mounts on either side to undo in order to release the ARB.

Then its just a case of bolting the new ARB on and fitting the drop links.

Last edited by h4pry; 17-04-2013, 09:43 PM.
    Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
    In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Great write up

Is it essential the back boxes are removed?
    Do you need to secure the drop links before tightening the ARB in place?
    What torque settings did you use?
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
      Great write up

Is it essential the back boxes are removed?
      It is with Supersprints. Perhaps with standard back boxes you'll get away with just removing one.

Great write up

Do you need to secure the drop links before tightening the ARB in place?
      No not at all. You just need a socket on one end and an open ended spanner on the other. Do them up loosly first and get everything in place. Then tighten.

Great write up

What torque settings did you use?
      I just did them by feel.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Comment

You sir are a gent

Thanks for that, going to start on mine this w/e.

How have you found the ride since?

Comment

Originally posted by M1ke View Post
          You sir are a gent

Thanks for that, going to start on mine this w/e.

How have you found the ride since?
          There is a massive difference to the ride. It makes the car feel more solid and perhaps more modern due to the reduction in roll.

You could do this job on your drive in half a day - Easy.

Good luck.

Comment

i have a sudden urge to point you towards the following thread

www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13388

half a days work on the ARB's, this job takes 5 mins! + gives a lifetime of satisfaction for the car and owner (and gets me off your back, gotta be worth it right? lol)

p.s. the little saw is cool

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
              i have a sudden urge to point you towards the following thread

www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13388

half a days work on the ARB's, this job takes 5 mins! + gives a lifetime of satisfaction for the car and owner (and gets me off your back, gotta be worth it right? lol)

p.s. the little saw is cool
              Ha Ha. I could have put money that you would chime in with that.

Comment

Nice one Paul

Comment

I'm likely getting the ARB's fitted this month and wanted opinions on 2 things:

1 - should I change the drop links as a matter of course and if so stick with OEM

2 - Do I need to add any strengthening at the mounts

The car is on standard suspension, 100k under it's belt but looks pretty solid underneath.
                  It's rarely if ever tracked and although I enjoy a spirited drive, it's got a pretty easy life tbh.

What I don't want to do is end up chasing myself around the car upgrading this and that, I just want an improvement over what I have now.

I know we've covered this quite a bit - just want thoughts on this particular situ.

Cheers.
                  S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                    I'm likely getting the ARB's fitted this month and wanted opinions on 2 things:

1 - should I change the drop links as a matter of course and if so stick with OEM

2 - Do I need to add any strengthening at the mounts

The car is on standard suspension, 100k under it's belt but looks pretty solid underneath.
                    It's rarely if ever tracked and although I enjoy a spirited drive, it's got a pretty easy life tbh.

What I don't want to do is end up chasing myself around the car upgrading this and that, I just want an improvement over what I have now.

I know we've covered this quite a bit - just want thoughts on this particular situ.

Cheers.
                    My drop links looked a little tired, and as they are 'relatively' cheap items I chose to replace.

(Lemforder ones from Eurocarparts - use parts25 for a 25% discount).

The mountings all look fairly sound on my car, so I have left them for the time being, but will probably get them strengthened at some point.

I suspect if you do not intend to do much on track the originals will probably be ok?

Comment

The standard rear trailing mounts will be ok for an indefinite period, but it is better to strengthen them.

For the front droplinks, I'm using the OEM droplinks and they've been fine so far; one thing I would say is the nuts can come undone with the fatter bars unless they are done as tight as possible. If I was to replace them I'd by the Meyle HD ones off ebay.

Comment

OK cheers for the advice. Will get this done next month for sure.
                        S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

just had this done. Not been for a spirited drive but the car feel tighter and a rattle has disappeared - so I think the act of refreshing links etc is certainly helpful.

One qu - I think I read that these have variable settings - is that right ? I forgot to ask my mechanic before fitting so have no idea how mine have been set. As usual with me, poor planning.

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
                            just had this done. Not been for a spirited drive but the car feel tighter and a rattle has disappeared - so I think the act of refreshing links etc is certainly helpful.

One qu - I think I read that these have variable settings - is that right ? I forgot to ask my mechanic before fitting so have no idea how mine have been set. As usual with me, poor planning.
                            They do yes, a stiff and stiffer setting, which is set by where you mount the drop links onto the ARB.
                            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

hmmm this looks easier than I thought, Ive had the Anti roll bars sitting in my garage for about 6 months now so might have a go at it if we get some good weather. My exhaust will have been off when they did the boot floor so should hopefully be easy enough to get off but does anyone know what size nuts and bolts to have ready just in case?

Comment

Working...
                              X