Lower control arms / Wishbones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower control arms / Wishbones

I'm doing a refresh of the bottom of my car, including upgrading the suspension. I don't know when all the bushes etc. we're last changed, so decided I'd change all the rubber bits as well. I notice that BMW don't have a part number for the ball joints on the wishbones - am I correct in thinking these are considered non-replaceable items? If that's the case (and the entire wishbones have to be replaced) are their any good quality aftermarket ones available, or do we have to pay the BMW tax? Thanks.
    2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

I think the parts are available to just replace the joints, the wishbone assembly is made by Lemforder for BMW.

Comment

Thanks, Dave. I couldn't find any ball joints specifically for the M Coupe, I'll dig a little deeper. If the BMW control arms are made by Lemforder, I might just go down that route - it might be easier than finding alternative ball joints and then finding someone to press them in....

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
        Thanks, Dave. I couldn't find any ball joints specifically for the M Coupe, I'll dig a little deeper. If the BMW control arms are made by Lemforder, I might just go down that route - it might be easier than finding alternative ball joints and then finding someone to press them in....

I think Meyle may do the joints separately but I would just change the complete wishbone .

Comment

Tbh, I'm not a great fan of Meyle, I think I'll probably go with your advice and change the wishbone.

Comment

You would need 2 of each:
            LEMFÖRDER 10533 01
            LEMFÖRDER 10519 03

You would need a press or a heavy duty clamping tool to get those replaced. Did it myself on e36 M3 coupe. Plan to do the same procedure on M coupe this summer ... i hope.

Last edited by grishin; 29-04-2020, 09:00 PM. Reason: added pictures

Comment

These ball joints are from the E30 arms aren't they?

Comment

Grishin, thanks very much for the info - definitely something I'd consider in the future. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a press and by the time I've paid for the labour i don't think it would work out much cheaper than buying the arms - the Lemforder ones are available for about £80 each. ��

Comment

I've been looking at this too, these ones look ok but when you do that part number check they show as not compatible?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LH-RH-TRA...gAAOSwXj1edW~Z

Some have an offset and some don't or something? Same control arms as E36 M3 Evo?

31122228461 and 31122228462 are the oem numbers....

I'm confused? Sorry to add to confusion, but are the arms all the same or some with or without offset or something?

Comment

From what I recall,

10533 01 fit various e36 model, https://webcat.zf.com/index.asp?last...artnr=10533+01

10519 03 designed for e30, https://webcat.zf.com/index.asp?last...artnr=10519+03

urquattrogus, I had those replaced on my e36 M3 Evo (3.2). You are correct, 31122228461 and 31122228462 are shared between e36 M3 3.2 and Z3 M3.2.

Comment

Working...
                    X