15 PY UK RHD in total not 6 as stated

Comment

Incorrect Bph as well !
      S54 M Coupe
      D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Only 15.. Happy days.. All S54?

Comment

Not had many services for 33,000 miles ?

Comment

Should be 2 years max between intervals in the S54...
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

does it say 2 years in the service bumph?? (genuine question?, as my cars books and info are at the office not here!)

I thought the service lights would be the best judge seeing as they are time and load sensitive (I believe?)

I know lots of manufacturers like to say that, as it earns them extra money in service but it does the car no harm to have three or four year old oil!, (certainly a lot less harm than running them for ten thousand miles between oil changes!!)......., not to mention if its not at the dealers its a lot less chance of being damaged (as two of my old bmws did at my local main dealers a few years back!!!!!), by idiot young mechanics that see it as an unimportant old car!!... (and I can say that as I am a motor vehicle engineer with over 25 years experience, so have worked with my fair share of idiot young mechanics!!! lol)

Comment

That was always my view....so went and checked the manual....

...so it's two years for low mileage cars, which does kind of make sense as I've never done more than 4.5k miles a year in mine and I think the most I've ever seen disappear between services is 2 green lights.

But the language does imply it should be 2 years for all cars as oil "ages regardless of the distance the vehicle has covered".
                Last edited by Spooks; 01-01-2016, 10:51 PM.
                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

No Inspection 2 implies the car is on original spark plugs, not had dif oil replaced etc. That would concern me.
                  S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                    That was always my view....so went and checked the manual....

...so it's two years for low mileage cars, which does kind of make sense as I've never done more than 4.5k miles a year in mine and I think the most I've ever seen disappear between services is 2 green lights.

But the language does imply it should be 2 years for all cars as oil "ages regardless of the distance the vehicle has covered".
                    bugger!!...., mine (m roadster) is coming up to two years since last service (covered 400 miles!!), better get it booked in then!

Comment

so by that reckoning you shouldn't use oil that was bottled more than 2 years ago
                      S50 Roadster....

Comment

Originally posted by swamper View Post
                        so by that reckoning you shouldn't use oil that was bottled more than 2 years ago
                        As far as I know, it's not actually the age of the oil per se, but the length of time it's in use in an engine... the industry claim that contaminates build-up in the oil.

But then they would however you've only to look and feel the difference in new oil and that removed from an engine after use over a period to see there is a difference

My MC's service record would indicate that some of the previous owners went off the service lights to indicate required services, rather than a time basis. The car's 16 years old now, runs brilliantly and I don't think missing the occasional 2 year oil change has done it any real harm. Personally though, I change the oil within every 2 years, regardless of what the service lights show.
                        Last edited by Fat Tony; 02-01-2016, 05:56 PM.
                        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I was just playing devils advocate Tony.mine gets changed at or around that however as chilly said when it's only done a few hounds miles it makes no sense to change it..
                          S50 Roadster....

Comment

its purely a scam to keep the dealers in money.

with the cars I actually use I believe in no more than 3000 miles between oil changes (on the few track cars ive had I change the oil after every track day)
                            changing the oil regularly is tremendously good practice to keep an engine healthy and free from carbon build up etc (along with exercising the engine properly, after getting the engine/oil fully up to temp!)

but changing oil when cars are in dry, climate controlled storage after covering basically no miles is nonsense!

its not the money that bothers me for the servicing even though it is somewhat galling when you know its pointless, but its as I said before the risk of damage for no reason that is my fear.

Comment

Just my two cents:

In our Z3M's we use Castrol TWS 10W60 or other Ester based motor oils.
                              (at least I hope you're using those, otherwise your pistons and camshafts won't be very happy)
                              Esther is very important for the coating of your camshafts and rocker arms.

BUT Esther has two enemies:
                              1. Hydrolysis
                              2. Oxidation

1. Hydrolysis means that your ester-oil is absorbing water, which is the reverse reaction of producing ester. It is accelerated by water and solved metals that get in your oil while driving. So after one year, your oil absorbed a non negligible amount of water, that manipulates your viscosity. (there's always condensate in your motor when not moving)

2. Oxidation breaks the triglyceride of your ester-oil which also makes it less durable. (there's always a lot of oxygen around your oil, indifferent if driving or not)

I'm no Castrol dealer or whatever, but I made my experience especially with S54 engines and ester based oil.
                              I'm also into motorsports where I change the oil after every race.
                              In my other vehicles (S54 Roadster, N54 135i and soon S85 Z Coupe )
                              I change oil every year, indifferent I drove 10.000km or less.

Also the barrel in my workshop never stays longer than 1 year. No problem as long as it's original sealed, but as soon as it's open, it has to get used whilst 1 year)

The previous owner of my Roadster did oil service as BMW advised. The engine was done after 115.000km, and I mean REALLY done!
                              In an other car I got an S54 that ran over 200.000km so far and it looks and runs like new. But in this car oil was serviced every 6- 10.000km and at least every year.
                              Many other vehicles show the same attrition signs.

But as I said....just my point of view.....

Comment

Working...
                              X