Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension refresh advice

Hello all,
    Not posted for awhile and looking for some advice from fellow owners that have had more driving use than myself.
    I took my S54 off the road after only a short ownership/use to replace the sill.
    One thing led to another and I have now also replaced both wings,sills,quarters and gone a bit OTT.
    I am now thinking about changing the struts and shocks etc while I have it stripped.
    Question is should I replace with standard or upgrade ?
    I will probably never drive the car too hard as it’s abilities far outweigh my own.
    I just want to use,enjoy and improve.
    Car is totally standard with 76k miles
    What’s your recommendations all ?

There are quite a few threads on here if you have a look.
    There’s no definitive answer as it’s personal preference.

I change my standard for bilsteins (b6) at 100k and kept the standard springs.
    Genuinely transformed the car for the better so I can recommend that for fast road use and anything else bar regular track days I guess.
    Most people will say H&R arb’s are essential too but I’ve never felt the need after getting the shocks done (even though I have an unopened set sitting in the garage). They’ve been there 4 years + now I think!
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Old post with some varying views on replacing suspension,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19480

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.
        I will go down the Bilstein B6 route with stock springs.
        Thanks for posting up the old thread Dave,it was very helpful.
        Thanks also for the feedback regarding the arb’s Seca blue ��

Comment

I've just spent the day out in Stacey's 2.2 Z3 with Bilstein B6 and H&R springs. It's such a nice thing to drive

I think I'll be going this route to replace my KWV3s

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Use B8 dampers though with the lowering springs, same damper just shorter rod.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
              Use B8 dampers though with the lowering springs, same damper just shorter rod.

I have B8s with H&R springs and ARBs - drives very nicely.
              '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Thanks guys,
                I have now purchased new top mounts front and rear, a set of Bilstein B6 shocks,new brake disc backing plates and a pile of other parts for a bit of a refresh.
                I will run on standard for now but may opt for the Eibach 20mm drop at a later date.
                Thanks all for the advice (just need to hide the bank statements from the other half again)

Comment

Good work.

Mine felt like a completely different car when I picked it up. It still does tbh - it was a real tired old boat before.
                  S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Let us know how it drives when you get them fitted

Comment

Working...
                    X