Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diffs

Hello

Can anyone tell me what diffs fit the Z3m?

I'm going to try and look for a 3.46 diff and would like to try and find out what cars I can find them in.

Or if anyone can give me any advice that might help it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

loads of info on forum - well worth a read

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/tags.php?tag=diff

Comment

Cheers Dave,

I did have a quick search but didn't find what I was looking for. Admittidly I am useless with the search function!

Comment

Also you could try this company,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E30-z3m-BM...item4abfc60701

Comment

Originally posted by clapshot View Post
          Cheers Dave,

I did have a quick search but didn't find what I was looking for. Admittidly I am useless with the search function!
          the forum's search is not great but try using tags instead which may give better results

Comment

are you looking for a complet diff, or jsut the CWP
            BMW e21 track car
            Z3M (S62)
            2.8 Z3 Coupe
            Ariel Atom
            GT86 race car
            Ferrari 348 Challenge
            Merc G500

Comment

Cheers dave, I always try a search but rarely achieve what i'm looking for exactly, all hints are taken on board though!

To be honest Jason i'm just looking into it just now. The car doesn't get much use and when it does it's just for a wee blast on a sunday. There are no motorways where I am so I don't really need to worry about that. Hopefully I'll take the car a run south at times but even then that'll probably only happen once a year!

Comment

3.46 is perhaps the best allrounder if you want to drop the gearing without sacrificing too much motorway manners. The car could have done with a 6th gear to start with but it's not that bad.

Comment

I'm tempted to try a 3.64 first to see what I think as they are a lot cheaper. The 3.64 on pistonheads is £250 and I can get a 3.46 but it'll cost £650. At least if I try the 3.64 I know if i'll like the difference or maybe i'll be more like exdos and think that it's not worth it really.

Comment

Does it not come down to what you plan on using the car for? If youre sprinting then the 3.64 is the way to go but sounds like it would be a real pain on longer runs if the 3.46 is doing over 3500rpm at only 70mph or so, whereby the standard ratio is about 80mph at 3000rpm....

The 3.64 sounds a big compromise.
                    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I'm tempted to try a 3.64 first to see what I think as they are a lot cheaper. The 3.64 on pistonheads is £250 and I can get a 3.46 but it'll cost £650. At least if I try the 3.64 I know if i'll like the difference or maybe i'll be more like exdos and think that it's not worth it really.
                      I don't think Exdos thought it wasn't worth it, more the diff he fitted had a slight noise he wasnt happy with and I think that plus him getting the Z4M he just put the factory diff back in.

For me the 3.46 diff is one of the best mods I've done, so much more fun to drive and on track feels markedly different to the factory diff which felt too long legged.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                        I don't think Exdos thought it wasn't worth it, more the diff he fitted had a slight noise he wasnt happy with and I think that plus him getting the Z4M he just put the factory diff back in.

For me the 3.46 diff is one of the best mods I've done, so much more fun to drive and on track feels markedly different to the factory diff which felt too long legged.
                        Would you say it has noticeably reduced the 0-60 and 0-100 times?
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Do you think it's worth getting one built for £650? That seems a lot to me. I could send mine away to the guy and he said he would change it to 3.46 for £400,

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                            Would you say it has noticeably reduced the 0-60 and 0-100 times?
                            Not particularly, it's more in gear times and flexibility. For 0-60 and 0-100 times it's about full throttle power from standing start so as long as the gear spacing isn't widely out it will always be in the power, so to a certain extent gearing doesn't actually make a massive difference (within reason). But shorter gearing just makes the engine so much more flexible, for example from 40mph 4th gear on the road it feels much punchier, and where 3rd felt a bit long out of some corners on track it now feels much better.

I really didn't like my car on the Ring with the standard diff, felt like I was in 3rd gear for an age, but now just feels "right" yet the drop to 3.46 isn't that big. I put a lower ratio diff in my 205GTi Mi16, a similar drop to what the Coupe has now and it transformed the car - as said it wasn't for out-right acceleration from a stand still but the flexibility the engine had in gear at more varied speeds.

Granted it's always a balancing act of 2nd too short/3rd too long (as an example) but for me the lower ratio diff suits circuits massively more than the 3.15 diff and on the road the car just feels more lively.

Comment

Do you think it's worth getting one built for £650? That seems a lot to me. I could send mine away to the guy and he said he would change it to 3.46 for £400,
                              What are those prices actually for, new parts?

Comment

Working...
                              X