Bad misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad misfire

First run out for a couple of months and the car seems to be misfiring. Spark plugs look ok, not sure where to go next, coil packs? Was thinking 'Italian tune up' but dont want to damage anything.

Thoughts / advice much appreciated.

T.I.A.

Originally posted by M1ke View Post
    First run out for a couple of months and the car seems to be misfiring. Spark plugs look ok, not sure where to go next, coil packs? Was thinking 'Italian tune up' but dont want to damage anything.

Thoughts / advice much appreciated.

T.I.A.
    Sounds like it could be the mag? Try running it with the maf disconnected to see if it’s any better.

Comment

Maf not mag ^^^^

Comment

Are you able to get it plugged in to diagnostics somewhere? Might just give you a direction in which to start looking at least
        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Most likely to be a coilpack. Thrashing it won't do anything IMO.

Spark plugs can look good and still fail however, so if they aren't newish I would replace those first.

Comment

How’s it at idle? If it’s missing at idle too then you can just disconnect each coil pack in turn and see which one doesn’t make it even worse. That would narrow it down. Then swap coil pack or spark plug with known good one to determine if it’s the coil pack or spark plug at fault
            1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

With all the electronic gizmos on cars nowadays we sometimes forget that the basiccs of all engines has not changed at all,they need the same things they have always needed to run,
              My instincts would be to change all ignition plugs to new ones,check the coil packs, and also change the fuel to fresher stuff.

Comment

Cheers for the thoughts. It has fresh fuel and plugs are quite recent and look good. New coilpack should be arriving today so will try this next.

Comment

It ended up being a spark plug

I was quite surprised as they looked ok and I thought they were only a couple of years old. Still, a new set of plugs and running sweet again :-)

Comment

Good news! Glad you got it sorted
                    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

I was quite surprised as they looked ok and I thought they were only a couple of years old. Still, a new set of plugs and running sweet again :-)
                      Glad it was an easy fix for you!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Thats Dreat news...

Comment

Working...
                        X