No announcement yet.

Weighted Gear knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do these really make a difference to the gear changes? I am finding the gear changing very notchey.

Comment

Dave - yep I got the non-illuminated version. A shame to lose the cool glow, but you don't miss it after a while.

My gear changes are still notchy (but I quite like this). The big difference is the shorter throw and the greater ease in doing so with some weight behind it.
      '99 Estoril/Estoril & Black

Comment

just ordered

Comment

I have had mine (non-illuminated) about 4 months and it does make changes slightly smoother and slightly quicker if you are trying to change really quickly. An overall improvement.
          Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Originally posted by David1975 View Post
            Phil,

Did you buy one of these in the end? Was it weighted aswell as being shorter?

How did you find the rewiring?

I am also looking at getting a weighted short shifter and if these are weighted I'll buy one but no mention of the item being "weighted" in the decription

Cheers

Dave
            Dave

I went for the un-illuminated one that Exdos recommended in the end. It's a piece of cake to fit and makes a big difference - throw is shorter and changes feel smoother.

Hope this helps
            PhilT.

2002 S54
            Titanium Silver/Laguna Seca Blue

Comment

Originally posted by ron burgandy View Post
              just ordered
              Me Too!

Thanks guys for all your info

cheers

Dave
              EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
              Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

Any of you guys tried out one of Storm Motorwerks stainless steel gearknobs? I've tried one out in an M roadster and it made an incredible difference to the gearchange - sat shorter than standard too!

Here's a pic from that roadster:

Should have been on KW's from the Factory!

Comment

Originally posted by banana97 View Post
                  Any of you guys tried out one of Storm Motorwerks stainless steel gearknobs? I've tried one out in an M roadster and it made an incredible difference to the gearchange - sat shorter than standard too!

Here's a pic from that roadster:

I have one on the MC with matching handbrake and cigarette lighter blank.

I have used the whalen and ACS one on my car(ragerovers car) and the Storm is by far the best.

EDIT: I have the other style, like the e30 M3 with the //M colours on the insert.
                  Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                  New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Lee: got any pics of the items in your car?

Comment

Imran took some on the TBMW photoshoot but I can not find one.... there is some pics of the one with the ///M colours on the website

http://www.storm-motorwerks.com/inte...hift_knobs_v2/

a class piece of kit, such a precise throw and give a real race car feel!

looks awesome as a kit too
                      Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                      New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

That looks class! I've just seen a group buy they are doing on the Evotechnik forum - wonder if we can get one going here??

Comment

Thinking of ordering one of these; Exdos, is this the same gearknob/trader you bought? Just want to make sure as I want it to be heavier one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-M3-E36-E46...QQcmdZViewItem

or there's this one, looks exactly the same though there's no mention of weight;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-M-Technic-...QQcmdZViewItem
                          Last edited by c_w; 10-08-2007, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Chris,

They both look like the one that I've got, and the first ad does say that it's weighted.

Send the sellers an email and ask them to weigh it and measure it for you so you'll know exactly what you're buying.

Personally, I prefer to deal with the Americans than the Germans, and there's never any excuse for poor understanding due to translation. I've not had a bad deal with a US trader yet.
                            /// Exdos ///
                            "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I must confess i changed my gear knob over to one suplied by Storm in actual fact i bought the handbrake leaver and blank for the cigar lighter aswell..i went for the one with the logo and gear shift pattern on top...a fantastic peice of kit and what a difference in changing gear virtualy eliminated all notchiness from the selector...looks fantastic aswell..i aint into pimping my mc..just improving it ! which it has done,its very heavy and shorter!
                              after pulling the leather gator from around the gear shift the cable that iluminated the oem is easily located..just pulls apart..removing the knob is just a tug and a bit of a twist...and comes of easily ! no problemo...the storm one does not look like an after market cheap add on..just looks rite..a rather lovely peice of engineering that works a treat !! a rather tactile peice of kit aswell.

Comment

Anyone know how heavy that ebay one is in comparison with the Storm ones?

Comment

Working...
                                X