No announcement yet.

Respray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my Phoenix back from Stratstone Chesterfield Bodyshop. Yes main dealer BUT having trusted them with my previous e30 M3sportEvo up to concours standards they have once again come up with the goods. Again the finish is up to concours standards albeit as Iam so (very) picky I have taken it back for a couple of faults, nothing more than 'pinhead size' but at full £££ I must be fully satisfied.
    Iam sure that I must be a real pain for the bodyshop as they can usually bolt on and paint for insurance and unlikely to get such close inspection.
    This said I would be more than happy to recommend.

Comment

Chesterfield is a fair old treck but your obviously chuffed with the results Steve, even for someone who is (rightly) so picky. Did you have the works or just a panel or two? What was the cost?

Broccers, did they replace all the rubbers/window seals? I would imagine once they are ripped out they wouldn't look the same when put back in?

The guy who quoted the higher price did seem to know what he was on about, he could spot every panel straight away that had been painted before and they have contracts with the local Merc and Jag garage dealerships, he was a great salesman. Just makes me wonder how they can quote a price and then just drop it by £350 for the same job when I mention a price I got from down the road, must be a big margin in it for them.

Very naughty but a suggestion from a place that gave me a quote was to 'key' my own car from one end to the other and claim on the insurance, ok I might have to pay an excess and it might go up by £150 next year and take a while to come back down but still save me a fortune in the long run. I'm proud of my no claims, they are well earned and I don't think I'd have the bottle!!

The shiny chrome boot handle thing with the boot key hole in is a bit corroded and could do with replacing, any of you BMW parts wizards know where I can find the proper part number?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        Broccers, did they replace all the rubbers/window seals? I would imagine once they are ripped out they wouldn't look the same when put back in?
        No but they look fine .... not anal perfect but then I didn't specify new rubber - I can't image 2 pieces costing the earth.

Comment

The shiny chrome boot handle is BMW ref 51228400128 retail £51.92 +VAT
          you will also need gasket kit for same ref 51228401010 retail £3.92+ VAT

If interested the one taken off my car was v.good (just not concours being anal perfect!!) and if OK for you then pm with offer.

Also had new front screen with seals and front headlights. All only done 29k miles so some minor stone chips but no cracks or major damage.

Comment

Chopper "Chesterfield is a fair old treck but your obviously chuffed with the results Steve, even for someone who is (rightly) so picky. Did you have the works or just a panel or two? What was the cost?"
            Started out with bonnet, front spoiler, cill extensions and hamann diffuser but ended up having full respray to ensure colour match as Phoenix is bas***d to match apparently especially as they know that it had to be concours.
            Cost a fortune compared to prices quoted above and having spoken to manager today advised you to budget £2000k.

"Very naughty but a suggestion from a place that gave me a quote was to 'key' my own car "
            would not entertain these at any price.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Steve, agree, would not 'key' my own car, apart from my first class ethical nature (!!!) the insurance might force one of their approved repairers that might not be so good.

PM'd about boot handle...

Comment

Originally posted by steveH View Post
                Chopper "Chesterfield is a fair old treck but your obviously chuffed with the results Steve, even for someone who is (rightly) so picky. Did you have the works or just a panel or two? What was the cost?"
                Started out with bonnet, front spoiler, cill extensions and hamann diffuser but ended up having full respray to ensure colour match as Phoenix is bas***d to match apparently especially as they know that it had to be concours.
                Cost a fortune compared to prices quoted above and having spoken to manager today advised you to budget £2000k.
                £2,000k!!!!!! :-)
                1998 Cosmos Black - Not quite standard ...

Comment

I know Mr Lewin at chezzy and they can charge a lot ;-)

Comment

Sorry even I dont get that stung. Try £2k or £2000.00. hope thats alot better!!!

Comment

it certainly costs a lot more to do the same job in Australia.... damn.... everything is expensive here....

I spent GBP 2730.00 for the full exterior respray... then another GBP 4K to do the engine bay and full chassis alignment (engine out and whole car on the jig).... No accident at all... just to refresh the whole car inside and out...

Best of luck mate!

cheers,

richie
                      M Coupe from Australia

Comment

Ressurecting an old post here.

Anyway, I'm having my Coupe repainted next week and thought I'd do some searching on here.

All I can say is that I wish you could get a car painted in 2011 for £1500!!

My quotes varied from £2k - £5k!!!!

355 Restorations in Dunsfold were the most expensive FYI.

Cheers
                        andrew

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
                        2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Originally posted by andrewturner View Post
                          Ressurecting an old post here.

Anyway, I'm having my Coupe repainted next week and thought I'd do some searching on here.

All I can say is that I wish you could get a car painted in 2011 for £1500!!

My quotes varied from £2k - £5k!!!!

355 Restorations in Dunsfold were the most expensive FYI.

Cheers
                          andrew
                          What's up Andrew, OCD getting the better of you?!

Comment

Originally posted by W1234 View Post
                            What's up Andrew, OCD getting the better of you?!
                            LOL... yep! :)

no in fairness the car is in good shape and is very straight, however I'm sure its found a ditch or two over the years and having thrown best part of £5k at the mechanicals in the last 20 months, the bodywork lets it down.

I was planning on getting the front bumper, bonnet and rear bumper painted, however as it's seen paint previously, no one would guarantee a perfect match, so I'm planning on keeping it, so I figured I'd do the whole car.. that way it will be 1 colour guaranteed!

I'll do some before and after shots!

Cheers
                            Andrew

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
                            2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

When I was looking the general quote was about £2.5k-£3.5k.

One place would do it for around £1600 ish off the books. Never bothered in the end.
                              Ex 2001 S54
                              New cars:
                              Lotus Carlton
                              350Z

Comment

Working...
                              X