back windscreen surround....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back windscreen surround....???

Having looked at my car from the outside rear i notice that the suround from where the rear glass is sealed to the bodywork has a rather milky look about it a bit like condensation ! i have spoken to a mate about it ,and he sujested getting the rear screen popped out and re-seated,,so does anyone else have this..not really a problem but anoys me now?

mines the same!

Comment

So is mine; I believe it's the black of the window surround that has faded - you can scrape it off with a screw drivers but can't access all of it. Think having the window removed and cleaned up is the only fix.
      Last edited by c_w; 08-07-2009, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I replaced the rear window on mine because of this and the fact that I smashed it.

If you do want to replace, OEM glass is the only available type for the MC. I had to wait 4 weeks for mine from Germany.
        Last edited by h4pry; 09-07-2009, 08:28 AM.
        Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
        In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Mine's the same in a couple of small areas, I assumed obviously wrongly that it was some dried polishing wax that had got between the panel fit of the glass. Think I can live with it.

Comment

Out of interest, how much was a new rear screen?
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
              Out of interest, how much was a new rear screen?
              It was covered on my insurance. I think the actual part is about £300.

Comment

Not as unreasonable as I thought, Cheers
                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                  Not as unreasonable as I thought, Cheers
                  The dealer wanted £500 to fit, inclusive of the glass, seals and fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                    Having looked at my car from the outside rear i notice that the suround from where the rear glass is sealed to the bodywork has a rather milky look about it a bit like condensation ! i have spoken to a mate about it ,and he sujested getting the rear screen popped out and re-seated,,so does anyone else have this..not really a problem but anoys me now?
                    has anyone found a fix for this problem - without removing the rear screen?

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a silicone sealant used to bond the glass to the frame. ie the same as is used to bond aquarium glass. Over time it does discolour.

I'd imagine removal and resealing the window could be a DIY job but unless you apply just the right amount of sealant, it could end up being quite messy.
                      "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
                        has anyone found a fix for this problem - without removing the rear screen?
                        When I was looking to buy mine, one seller had covered the edges of the rear screen with fake carbon-fiber effect tape...

Maybe not what you were after?
                        '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Originally posted by h4pry View Post
                          I replaced the rear window on mine because of this and the fact that I smashed it.

If you do want to replace, OEM glass is the only available type for the MC. I had to wait 4 weeks for mine from Germany.
                          is the rear window covered in a protective film or did it shatter and make a mess everywhere

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Knightrider View Post
                            When I was looking to buy mine, one seller had covered the edges of the rear screen with fake carbon-fiber effect tape...

you got your car from ASM right?

damn! not the greatest of advice

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Knightrider View Post

no not really

Comment

Working...
                              X