No announcement yet.

Outside air temperature sensor faulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further research suggests that the sensor under the head lamp is actually a temperatire switch for the headlamp cleaning system and heated mirrors.

Maybe Munich could not find the sensor in the wheel arch because someone removed it before?

Comment

I'll have a chat with them tomorrow and reconfirm.

Cheers

Comment

Problem solved.

Problem solved.

The air temp sensor and o/s side light are now working as they should. The temp sensor is still located under the n/s headlight and is plastic.
        They had previously been wired incorrectly - being back to front.

3 years Gold RAC warranty validated, thank you very much!

Comment

Hello Guido, sorry for not getting back to you, I've been in Northern Cyprus and away on a training course over the last month. Sounds like you've got it sorted now anyway. Knew it was something with the sensor! I'm back on my mobile if you have any other concerns.

Regards

Jon
          Camj
          2001 Z3MC S54 Estoril RHD

Comment

Hi Jon,

Many thanks, although everyting is sorted now. Car is running well and I am getting more familiar with it now, have to say it's a pure pleasure to drive (and look at).

Best wishes

Comment

Originally posted by siwilson View Post
              Further research suggests that the sensor under the head lamp is actually a temperatire switch for the headlamp cleaning system and heated mirrors.

Maybe Munich could not find the sensor in the wheel arch because someone removed it before?
              ...bit of thread revival to finish the story off:

This is the sensor under the driver's side headlight:

Part number is 61318357632. Turns out that it's a 'THERMO SWITCH HEATABLE SPRAYING NOZZLE'. A quick look at the wiring diagram in my Bentley manual shows that its used for the headlight washer system.

...which is a bit bizarre as I don't have headlight washers on my coupe and it wasn't specced with them at delivery! Maybe headlight washers were a dealer fit option and all cars came prepped with the temp switch. Anyone know?
              1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Outside temp sensor

Not the case with my car, it was indeed the outside temperature sensor which Munich Legends confirmed at the time. I've had no reoccurring problems since having it fixed in 2010.

Not of much help to you I guess...a bit odd.

Comment

I think the front sensor may be for the heated windscreen nozzles so all cars should have them, the headlight washers were factory fitted not a dealer option.

Comment

I wonder if this could work as an alternative

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VDO-Temper...HKjaDb0sRjV82A

Comment

VDO sell a complete kit which includes the sensor,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VDO-Exterior...-/171707538134

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                        VDO sell a complete kit which includes the sensor,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VDO-Exterior...-/171707538134

Anyone actually fitted one of these?
                        2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

Here you can learn more of the VDO analog exterior temperature measurement system : http://www.kienzle.de/uploads/media/...nal_042010.pdf

See pdf pages 21-22.

The sensor itself seems to be a simple thermistor, in other words a simple resistor whose resistance is dependent on temperature. It is connected in between the display and negative ground (body of the car) and the display is basically a resistance measurement device that shows the resistance (calibrated to correspond to the temperature).

I bet that BMW is using some widely available thermistor type that they have just packaded into a plastic molded casing and equipped with suitable cable and connectors.

Thus, if we would know what type of thermistor this is, the sensor itself may be available from electronics shop with a price from 10 cents to a few euros and could be used to replace the original one. It is easy to make it waterproof with epoxy or similar stuff.

Anyone having one working original sensor lying around and willing to measure its resistance in a few temperatures ... For example 0 C (icewater), 10 C and 30 C.

That would tell us the calibration curve of the sensor and we could most propably find a cheap replacement to fix/replace the ridicilously priced original one.
                          The older I get, the faster I was ...
                          BMW HP2 Sport
                          ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Working...
                          X