Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's available in the US??

Hi M Coupe Guru types
    I'd like to get some background on what M Coupes were sold in the US, I'm a prospective buyer, just started to look around. Can anyone tell me what the difference was between the North American and the European cars? I have seen specs quoting 240 bhp on US cars, are they running the same engine but de-tuned? If so, how easy is it to get it to full power? Z3MCoupe.com is the first forum site I have found, can't find any US based forums, anyone know of a good US site??
    Thanks in advance
    Jon Tribe

http://www.368s.com/
    Ex S50 99 Cosmos Black / Black interior

Comment

US models 98-2000 they were 240bhp (more similar to the "regular" BMW 6 engines) but very different from the 3.2 S50 (321bhp, 98-2000). From 2001-on both European and US models got the "S54" (325bhp).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w
        US models 98-2000 they were 240bhp (more similar to the "regular" BMW 6 engines) but very different from the 3.2 S50 (321bhp, 98-2000). From 2001-on both European and US models got the "S54" (325bhp).
        What was the difference? Were the 98-2000 cars de-tuned versions of the S50 or did they have a different power plant?

Comment

Originally posted by UK_M_Coupe
          Originally posted by c_w
          What was the difference? Were the 98-2000 cars de-tuned versions of the S50 or did they have a different power plant?
          Your answer is here

http://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=17

Taken directly from the website.
          What are the differences between the S50 and S52 engines?
          The North American-spec powerplant, known as the S52, is based closely on the regular production M52 engine. Like that motor, the S52 is a six-cylinder with a cast iron block, aluminum head and four valves per cylinder, with two-stage VANOS variable valve timing on the intake strokes. Unique to the S52 is a bore of 86.4mm and stroke of 89.6mm for a total displacement of 3,152cc. The engine is rated at 240 hp (SAE) at 6,000rpm and 236 lb/ft of torque at 3,800 rpm.
          In addition to the larger displacement, the S52 utilizes the following special M components:
          -Ported and polished cylinder head
          -Retuned VANOS variable valve timing for greater high-rpm power
          -Heavy-duty valve springs
          -More finely balanced camshafts
          -Valve lifters, springs and spring seats with reduced mass
          -Free-flowing intake and exhaust systems

The European-spec powerplant, known as the S50 B32, is a much more exotic unit. With a bore of 86.4mm and a stroke of 91mm, the S50 B32 has a total displacement of 3,201cc. Like the S52, it has an iron block and aluminum head with four valves per cylinder. However, the S50 B32 incorporates the following special features to allow it to produce an impressive 321 hp (DIN) at 7,400rpm and 258 lb/ft of torque at 3,250 rpm:
          -Individual throttle plates for each cylinder
          -Increased compression ratio to 11.3:1
          -Advanced BMW/Siemens MSS50 engine management system able to compute 20 million instructions per second
          -Double VANOS continuously variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust strokes
          -Lightweight pistons
          -Dual-mass flywheel
          -Graphite-coated conrods
          -Larger inlet valves
          -Second oil pump

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Comment

Working...
          X