Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member checking in.....

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the posts here for a few weeks now as I'm doing my research before potentially becoming a Z3M Coupe owner. All useful stuff - so wanted to check in and say thanks to all for the helpful info I've picked up already.

Budget wise it's looking likely that I'll buy an S50 and keep the difference I might spend on an S54 for a healthy maintenance budget. Not owned a performance car before but appreciate I can't fund the fun on a shoestring.

Cheers
    ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
    now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Hi and welcome to the forum.

S50's and even S54's represent unbelievable value for money at the moment. Good luck with your search.
    Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
    In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Thanks h4pry
      I'm that little bit closer today. Just back from test driving a silver S50 and have placed down the deposit. Car's going to be serviced and the missing mobility kit sourced so I should officially be the proud owner in a week or so.
      ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
      now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Comment

Buy a S54 if you can. Traction control/later engine/rarer and other good things.

Other may say different though, and I may obviously be biased!
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
          Buy a S54 if you can. Traction control/later engine/rarer and other good things.

Other may say different though, and I may obviously be biased!
          s50 IMO biased i may b tooo :-) alot more feel in the engine :)
          also who needs traction control, whole point of the mc!!! ;)

what ever you choose a great car
          good luck with your search

BEN

Comment

Sorry guys my last reply to this went missing. I'd figured it was in limbo waiting for the mods to release (as I'm a new member). Guess I didn't Submit it properly. Picked up my S50 on Saturday and have been enjoying it ever since. What an awesome car and happy that the traction control thing wasn't as scary as I thought it might have been.

Comment

its not rained yet has it?

Enjoy your new toy!

Comment

Indeed, be careful in the wet esp on roundabouts, its not so bad in the dry.
                Ex 2001 S54
                New cars:
                Lotus Carlton
                350Z

Comment

From recent experience, watch out for standing water. Our fat rear tires dont like standing water at all.........well, mine didnt!
                  EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
                  Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

Was yours declared a total loss, David?

Comment

I remind myself not to get complacent everytime I walk towards the car at the moment particularly after some of the threads here. I'm being careful in the dry :-)
                      Will be even more so in the wet.

Comment

Well I'm sat in Woods BMW service dept whilst they fix my rattling ACS short shift gearknob and I'd asked them to quickly check the rasping/rubbing noise I hear at low revs rebounding off the kern stones.

Turns out the front brake disks have been reversed and there is an as yet unsourced oil leak. Joy :-)

To be fair one call to the seller Astle BMW and the cost of the work was sorted within 3 minutes. The oil leak work will be covered under AUC warranty so no hit on my finance.

However I hate that I'm so relatively clueless on diagnosing and spotting probs with cars (IT i have no problem)I'm already booked to start a car maintenance evening course in Sept where I'll get hands on on college vehicles and picked up a copy of the BMW service manuals and guides on CD just for reference at moment.

Have you guys got any suggestions as to books or online resources to help a non- mechanic better understand his car please?

Comment

Thanks goodness for the AUC cover! You'll soon be a wiz on the technical side of things - MC ownership does that to you.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Yadi View Post
                            Have you guys got any suggestions as to books or online resources to help a non- mechanic better understand his car please?
                            This web site will be a massive help to you.
                            http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...2&mospid=48075

Comment

Thanks fellas. Unfortunately my gear stick fix lasted only another 2 days. :-(
                              And I'm still not even driving it that hard. Gave ACS UK a shout via email today to see if I can get an assembly guide for it and take a look myself. Anyone else got the ACS short shift and had the same problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X