Vanos Gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pies
    My newly acquired MC (99 S, 41k, Estoril) also has a bit of a lumpy idle and a distinct whine through the rev range. :?

My girlfriend described it as being 'like taking off in an aeroplane'...by which i think she means the whine is like a turbine (or maybe its just the acceleration :twisted: ).

Now from memory i think the other cars i test drove had the same sort of sound. I'm not sure from reading other people's descriptions if this is the infamous 'vanos noise' or just a characteristic of the engine....

perhaps i'm just a bit sensitive as its my first week of ownership, i've got no warranty and i'm expecting the worst at any moment :shock:

Anyway, the car's in for a check at Munich Legends on saturday, so fingers crossed!
    Viscous coupling on the fan? :?:
    Simon.

www.bmwrallying.com

Comment

For the record i had noisy vanos gears, i have just had these repaced under EW and now no noise at all
      Ex S54 - She has gone....

Comment

Well the 'whine' must be standard issue because the car went in for a very thorough check at Munich Legends on Saturday, and they reported back that the car has no mechanical faults

Phew! After reading all these postings about VANOS bolts/gears etc. its a big relief to find you've bought one that's running ok.

Found ML very helpful and knowledgable about the MC and i'm going to send it back there to have a couple of minor things done.

Comment

Hey pies, how much was your check at Munich Legends? As a new owner I would be keen on having the same check done on mine.
          Imola S50 1999

Comment

Working...
          X