Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car does impression of a steam train......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car does impression of a steam train......

So the day arrives when my local BMW service dept of choice have a courtesy car and the replacement exhaust manifold parts to fix the odd sounds issue and I'm half way there, keeping the revs down and watching the gauges when there's a bang and a bit of a surge in the car. Thought a tyre had blown but no handling problem through the steering and looked in rear mirror to see a puff of light grey-white running full width of car like a native american smoke signal..... then it starts coming out from under the bonnet.
    No warning lights on dash.
    Coasted to the side of the road, no hard shoulder, on the busiest roundabout in town just before rush hour. :-(
    Two thin just visible lines of oily fluid up the road for 40m behind.* A worringly silver bit of bodywork being smashed about by passing traffic (although there's lots of debris at that junction). Big pool of greeny blue fluid under the front of the car (just under radiator).
    On plus side - BMW Emergency service agents were good and got me recovered within 40 mins even after my location changed - Hampshire constabulary pulled up and very kindly towed me to an area of the road with a hard shoulder - very grateful to them for their help as well.
    Service dept think it's the water pump that's blown, a belt has been knocked free but can't assess the damage properly until it's on a ramp.

Still smiling......
    ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
    now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Sounds a bit scary, my water pump went in the midlle of winter, no lights on dash as a warning either, just a faint screeching from the front of the engine where the fan blade was touching it's housing. New pump and pulley fixed the fault, expensive parts and a common fault, as I found out on the S50 anyway.
    JKE11Y

Comment

My MC gave me a scare a couple of years ago. Bowling along at a fair lick and suddenly there appeared a huge plume of blue smoke in the rear view mirror accompanied by an unnerving and unexpected slide of the rear end as I rounded a bend. No horrible noises or power loss but oil light subsequently quickly appeared and on stopping I discovered the underside and rear covered in oily residue.

Very worying but after recovery was discovered to be nothing more than a failed oil pipe. The MC is tail happy enough without dumping oil under the back wheels :-) !!
      Col N.
      Life is not a rehearsal !

Porsche Cayenne S
      ex Audi S4 Avant
      ex 2001 S54 Titanium, Black
      ex Porsche 968

Comment

Thanks for the reassuring posts guys. Got my S50 back yesterday where Wood BMW had replaced the water pump under AUC warranty thankfully along with new aux drive belt.

The replacement exhaust manifold has most definitely fixed the noise that didn't sound right at low revs. Sounds a lot happier now at low speed even if it still feels like it wants to faster

A couple of little jobs to sort but nothing major now and I spent today removing some of the scratches that were only visible from lower than the car when it was up on the low loader
        ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
        now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Comment

Working...
        X