No announcement yet.

Another VANOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to the vids etc..........defo sounds like a big end shell(could well be wrong tho) i had one go...on an S50 too..sound gets horrible under load..but reasnably quiet at normal revs...i also had 100 on the oil guage !!it was no 3 bearing, scored the crank aswell...in my mind a total design fault.......problem was solved by a replacement engine ! ouch ! i was trying to get crank reground/rebalanced...new con rod..etc.........was taking a long time..so went the alterative route....just for info my shells wer the green ones..of course this may be of no significance at all.....BUT....

Comment

Well i'm taking it to George at Technosport tomorrow morning. My gut feel is that even tho the sound seems to be coming from the VANOS area, it sounds how I'd expect a spun shell to sound. I'll tell you more tomorrow, but so much for German reliability. My peugeot, fiat and alfa's never did THIS to me!

The way I see it, if it's VANOS replacement then I can live with that. It's a risk I accepted when I decided to buy an M Coupe. If it's in need of a new engine I'll be fcking livid. That would be a total sh1tter.
      Last edited by DavidC; 13-06-2008, 10:34 PM.

Comment

The car's at Technosport now. I drove it there this morning, clutching my breakdown policy in my hand just in case!!!! Georege probably won't get to look at it until Monday as he's at the Ace Cafe BMW day today, but he had a listen to the problem while I was there. He didn't know from the sound what it was, but it definitely 'seems' to be coming from the VANOS. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the pressure accumulator part of the system. Time will tell.

Just as well I'm an Oyster card commuter!!!!

Comment

It looks like it's the Vanos pump that's making the noise. George reckons he may have it fixed in time for my trackday on Weds, but I've cancelled my booking already.

Ah well, I'd rather have a healthy car.

DC

Comment

Hehe, picking her up tonight. George has removed the VANOS, stripped it and replaced all the seals etc. He seems to think it's fixed so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I've cancelled the track day, but if the repair turns out to be good I'll be posting a massive recommendation for these guys in the GOOD/bad Dealer forum.

Update: Well the car's back and seems to be fixed. It's been stripped had a new seal kit and race fitted. It's been cleaned up to the point of looking like new and the rocker cover gasket's been replaced. The race was pitted and that was causing the noise. It's silent now so I can't complain, however my emergency fund is now smaller to the tune of a four-figure sum :(
            Last edited by DavidC; 17-06-2008, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Four figure, blimey!

Comment

David, glad your repair did not entail a replacement engine unlike some of us very recently. Shell bearing 3 went on mine, and a new engine was the cure 2 months ago.I am looking for a crank to rebuild the old engine as a spare/sale? but alas rare, I have found. I think we dwell far too much on the potential Vanos achilles heel on here, it IS the problem on occasion, but the ripped boot floors seem to be even more of an issue than Vanos? at least BMW are willing to take that design/manufacturing fault on the chin?
                JKE11Y

Comment

Originally posted by jke11y View Post
                  David, glad your repair did not entail a replacement engine unlike some of us very recently. Shell bearing 3 went on mine, and a new engine was the cure 2 months ago.I am looking for a crank to rebuild the old engine as a spare/sale? but alas rare, I have found. I think we dwell far too much on the potential Vanos achilles heel on here, it IS the problem on occasion, but the ripped boot floors seem to be even more of an issue than Vanos? at least BMW are willing to take that design/manufacturing fault on the chin?
                  JKE11Y
                  Just had a to buy a brand new crank for mine as rare as rocking horse shit from old S50 engines. Pretty much every S50 that is broken for spares was done so because of a bearing failure!

Current - BMW M6
                  Previous - Estoril S50 '98

KW V3's, ACS Splitters, H&R ARB's, Rogue Engineering rear top mounts,
                  Carbon Induction kit, Supersprint Exhaust, BBS 19" CH alloys, Strong Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Just had a to buy a brand new crank for mine as rare as rocking horse shit from old S50 engines. Pretty much every S50 that is broken for spares was done so because of a bearing failure!
                    Out of interest how much was that Chris, just thinking worst case scenario if it should ever happen to me?

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

Yes,Chris, how much did you shell out !!!!! sorry, couldn't resist! My original engine is in bits, with a new block awaiting a crank from the rear end of a rocking horse!!!!!!!!!! It is all too good only 58,000 miles, to scrap, and would do as a spare engine or to sell on to someone in dire need. But may be worth buying a new crank. I fitted a warranted 28,000 mile engine and a big improvement all round, smooth, seamless power delivery in comparison
                      JKE11Y

Comment

Originally posted by jke11y View Post
                        JKE11Y
                        do u mean bmw are prepared to fix the ripped boot floors regardless of age?

Comment

Until you ask the question, and quote the recent boot floor repairs carried out by BMW, who knows? But they appear to have set a very obvious precedent with the "goodwill" repairs offered to forum members on here.
                          JKE11Y

Comment

Working...
                          X