No announcement yet.

My Estoril S50, Chuffed to have an M Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On with the front suspension and stripping the old struts and control arms out.

It looks like the edge of the subframe is going to need a very mild touch up with some paint.

Thank God for an imp[act gun, although some of the ball joints did spin and needed some extra faffing.

Untitled by urquattro gus, on Flickr

To Go ON:
    • Bilstein B6 Dampeners
    • New Control Arms with Bushings
    • New Top Mounts
    • H&R Anti Roll Bar
    • Eibach Pro Kit springs & new spring pads etc

And other bits and pieces.

The steering tie rods are new and were only done 2000 miles ago.
    Last edited by urquattrogus; 19-11-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Both side struts off now, one side control arm off.

The middle ball joint on the drivers side control arm is a bit of a bitch to get to!

I’m going to have another go tomorrow as it was seeming like a quarter turn by spanner job, have ordered a 21mm flex head long spanner with ratchet end, that or maybe use a crows foot??? Or remove the exhaust manifold heat shield and try to go from above?

Any tips??? I did the passenger side by using a long extension from above.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
        Both side struts off now, one side control arm off.

The middle ball joint on the drivers side control arm is a bit of a bitch to get to!

I’m going to have another go tomorrow as it was seeming like a quarter turn by spanner job, have ordered a 21mm flex head long spanner with ratchet end, that or maybe use a crows foot??? Or remove the exhaust manifold heat shield and try to go from above?

Any tips??? I did the passenger side by using a long extension from above.

I didn't remove the wishbones myself in the end but did ask the forum at the time,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20719

Comment

Thanks Dave, it came off the next day. It was one of those come back tomorrow jobs and I must have been getting tired.

I just disconnected an earth strap, bend back a heat shield a little and there was enough space to get the spanner on more reliably.

All front suspension off now:

I have been prepping and painting the subframe and the crossmember.

Both were is good nick with just a few flakes of surface rust. It's the top parts of the side edges that take the brunt of road crap.

I did the three stage POR15 process. Degrese, Metal Prep and then POR 15.

Soon I get the fun bit of putting new shiny parts on!!
          Last edited by urquattrogus; 23-11-2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Thats the best bit. Look good. Glad to see someone else messing in the cold weather.
            2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
              • Bilstein B6 Dampeners
              • New Control Arms with Bushings
              • New Top Mounts
              • H&R Anti Roll Bar
              • Eibach Pro Kit springs & new spring pads etc

Look forward to seeing how it sits on the B6s and Springs.

Where did you get your shocks from?

cheers

J.
              2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

I can't recall where the shocks came from, either Larkspeed or Bilstein Direct. Some only stock the B8 and not B6....

Strutts now all assembled with new OEM top mounts and fixing hardware, spring pads etc. Had to get a strutt nut socket set that allows you to use an allen key and turn the nut.

I also painted my new suspension arms black, was tempted to leave them but all the rest is black so thought it would look odd otherwise.

I'm also gently rubbing back and coating the edge of one seam, renewing the seam sealer etc which is starting to peal, just on one side.

Comment

Progress has been pretty agonising really, but I'm underway again.

There has also been quite a lot of faffing with things like painting small brackets, and also rubbing back the leading edge of the front sills where the lollipops fit.

I rubbed back some surface corrosion and removed some slightly peeling seam sealer.

Added fresh seam sealer, and went for three stage painting and undersealing, all worth doing to protect this area where dirt gets flicked up.

Bizzarely this was only necessary on the drivers side, the passenger side only needed the mildest of touch ups. I though traditionally it was the passenger side of cars that spent the most time in the gutter. My car did spend about a year in Germany but that seem's like clutching at straws.

Suspension wise one side is all on. Getting the lollipop control arm bushings onto the new control arms was a bit of a faff, put simply I didn't lube one side enough!

It also took quite a bit of time ordering all of the correct new fastenings etc. All have come from BMW.

I've also put in some PFC performance friction brake pads which I have found good on another car. The old pagid pads were barely worn at all but I think the PFC will give better bite and feel.

Some of the old bits going in the bin:

Hoping to crack on with the other side and get the other bits and pieces back on and lower her down before new year.
                  Last edited by urquattrogus; 28-12-2020, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Looking good, a lot of work going in there but I’d say your car will feel transformed when it’s done

Comment

Taking shape the ride will be transformed when complete.

Comment

Thanks Guys, just the undertrays and a few bits and bobs to go back on now, I'll then put the wheels on and let it settle. I've also been putting off re fitting the boot trim, I hate that sort of fiddly stuff!

I have to say the Bentley Manual has been invaluable for all of this work. It's quite comprehensive, although like most manuals you sort of have to get used to reading it as it has it's own way of describing stuff.

ARB now on, was a bit of a wrestling match with just one person, also new Meyle HD drop links.

Comment

So, brace and undertray back on minus one heat shield that I need to order in.

Lowered the car down and took this picture 15 mins after I did so.

Ride Height I measured was:

66cm from floor to top of wheel arch lip both front and rear

12 cm from edge of wheel rim to wheel arch lip front and rear

This is on Bilstein B6 Dampers and Eibach Pro Kit Springs (supposedly a subtle 20mm drop and a progressive spring)

I'm happy with the height and stance, can't wait to get out and re-MOT, Tax and drive it. I didn't want silly low as I don't want the car grounding out or a crappy ride.

Comment

Looks really well, I’m gonna look into some suspension mods this year also, I have the powerflex subframe bushes ordered along with H&R ARB, but haven’t decided what to go for with regards the shocks and springs, it’s either what you’ve done or else KW v3 but just can’t decide.

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Thanks, ride height has not changed save a mm or two since I dropped it down.

Just had a drive to the MOT centre and back and so far I chuffed with the ride and it feels sharper.

Need to get the rear exhaust boxes tweaked for fit and then get a 4 wheel alignment done.

Is there much they can actually adjust on the M Coupe? Steering track rod ends??

Also because I'm a bit of a tart I've put a private plate on it.

[IMG]Untitled by urquattro gus, on Flickr[/IMG]
                                Last edited by urquattrogus; 07-01-2021, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X