Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner at last

Hi Guys,
    I have loved these cars since they were introduced in 1998, with there individual look coupled with what's under the bonnet I just knew it had to be something special and I have not been disappointed.
    I have been on here a while now picking up as much info on the MC as possible and at long last after viewing a few I have eventually bought one and it's great.
    I Bought the car from Camelsham on here cheers mate
    Its an Oxford green S54 in very good original condition...well nearly, bonnet and bumper been re-sprayed and wheels re-furbished but is a straight genuine car.
    It has a high mileage but backed up by FBMWSH and engine sounds perfect.
    The colour is amazing, I was a bit concerned before I seen it in the flesh because the pictures did not do it justice but now.. I no for a fact that I have the best colour.... trouble is I think there is only one other person on here that will agree...and that's the other oxford green owner

Anyway there are a few things needing done that were reflected in the price.
    It needs a clutch I think, there is no evidence that one has been fitted and is very heavy I will have this looked at done as soon as,
    Is there anything else that would be worth doing when the clutch is being replaced ??
    Once the clutch and a few other jobs have been done I will seek to maintain and hopefully improve this car as much as I can, I hope to own it for a long time
    I know the engine has done a few miles but when I was looking for a 911 (996) someone said to me remember to put money into an ISA for when you need an engine rebuild...I have taken his advice with this one as well but hopefully don't need to cash it in for a long time...
    I'd like to start a journal on this can someone tell me how to add pictures.
    Where is the best/cheapest place to buy parts ??
    I'm sure I'll be on here soon, until then

Good choice Steve, a lovely looking car as I used to park next to it!!

The clutches are heavy so I would recommend you drive it a little first before spending your cash on a new one. As for parts, Euro Car Parts and GSF sell some but most bits will be dealer only.

Will the car be blasting around Derby like it once was with Kav?!
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Congrats and welcome!

I use tiny pics to upload

Comment

If you use the gallery here, it's easier to browse (and link to) photos without having to use external sites, plus it builds up a bigger photo gallery.

Clutch weighting is very relative and depends what you're used to IMO. I drive an AUDI A3 2007 a lot and the clutch on that is a bit stiff compared to another A3 I've had, but the clutch works ok so I'm leaving well alone for now! But after a few mile you get used to it and it feels "normal" until you get in to something else, especially newish.

I'd say the clutch weight has stayed the same in the 8yrs I've had my Coupe and I wouldn't describe it as heavy, but probably is compared to something modern. I personally don't see how a new clutch would solve this as in theory a worn clutch should get softer, obviously with a new clutch the actuation mechanism will be greased so it might well be that?

Comment

congrats, You may consider replacing the clutch hose for a braided item and also checking the flywheel as these can wear. You can get at 10% off

new spares from your local BMW dealer if you are a BMW car club member as I am sure we all are or try Sopers who will post items and give good discounts

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ghlight=dealer

Also bmminiparts who are a online parts supplier.

posting pictures see here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9789

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
            Good choice Steve, a lovely looking car as I used to park next to it!!

The clutches are heavy so I would recommend you drive it a little first before spending your cash on a new one. As for parts, Euro Car Parts and GSF sell some but most bits will be dealer only.

Will the car be blasting around Derby like it once was with Kav?!
            Cheers spooks,
            that's a no, but it will soon be blasting around East Lothian, Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
              If you use the gallery here, it's easier to browse (and link to) photos without having to use external sites, plus it builds up a bigger photo gallery.

Clutch weighting is very relative and depends what you're used to IMO. I drive an AUDI A3 2007 a lot and the clutch on that is a bit stiff compared to another A3 I've had, but the clutch works ok so I'm leaving well alone for now! But after a few mile you get used to it and it feels "normal" until you get in to something else, especially newish.

I'd say the clutch weight has stayed the same in the 8yrs I've had my Coupe and I wouldn't describe it as heavy, but probably is compared to something modern. I personally don't see how a new clutch would solve this as in theory a worn clutch should get softer, obviously with a new clutch the actuation mechanism will be greased so it might well be that?
              Hi,
              After driving back from Oxford yesterday my left thigh looks like one of Chris Hoy's
              This clutch is uncomfortably heavy, more than others I have driven,
              Some people on here have wrote about replacing a clutch hose, could that need replaced ?
              I will have it looked at next week hopefully by M3 motor Co in Bathgate and see what they say, I've heard they are good, A
              Anyone else in Scotland used them.
              Does any one know how many MC's are in Scotland??

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                congrats, You may consider replacing the clutch hose for a braided item and also checking the flywheel as these can wear. You can get at 10% off

new spares from your local BMW dealer if you are a BMW car club member as I am sure we all are or try Sopers who will post items and give good discounts

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ghlight=dealer

Also bmminiparts who are a online parts supplier.

posting pictures see here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9789
                Oops,
                Just replied to the previous post without reading this one
                I will ask about the clutch hose when I take to have an assessment done.
                where is this hose situated on the car and where is the best place to buy one, I think I will have it replaced as a precaution anyway.
                cheers Dave.

Comment

Earls clutch hoses are the ones you want.

Worth getting the clutch fluid changed/bled at the same time.

You would know if your clutch was shot but the slipping and burn smell. If the clutch is biting the same during a hard road run and does not start slipping then don't touch it until you have changed fluids and changed the hose.
                  VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by stevez3m View Post
                    Oops,
                    Just replied to the previous post without reading this one
                    I will ask about the clutch hose when I take to have an assessment done.
                    where is this hose situated on the car and where is the best place to buy one, I think I will have it replaced as a precaution anyway.
                    cheers Dave.
                    best place is Earls for the hose they did sell them on ebay but don't list them anymore but they are still available direct.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
                      Earls clutch hoses are the ones you want.

Worth getting the clutch fluid changed/bled at the same time.

You would know if your clutch was shot but the slipping and burn smell. If the clutch is biting the same during a hard road run and does not start slipping then don't touch it until you have changed fluids and changed the hose.
                      Good call Jonttt, I'll get this replaced first with a fluid change and take it from there, is this job a DIY ??
                      cheers

Comment

Originally posted by stevez3m View Post
                        Good call Jonttt, I'll get this replaced first with a fluid change and take it from there, is this job a DIY ??
                        cheers
                        If you have a ramp or a pit then yes but if not I wouldn't bother, only cheap for a garage to do it.
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                          If you have a ramp or a pit then yes but if not I wouldn't bother, only cheap for a garage to do it.
                          Ok spooks,
                          I'll have a look and have quote then decide, unfortunately I need my v5 form to tax the car first before I can do anything...maybe by the end of the week.
                          cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X