Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Z3M garage for cruise control retrofit

Hi everyone -
    I’ve always loved the Z3M Coupe and at last I’ve got a s54 2002 car being delivered this week.

I live in Cambridgeshire- can anyone recommend a good Indy garage to retrofit cruise control?
    I understand it’s not too difficult on the s54 but I’d still prefer an expert do it and not me!

I’m also going to get the audio system upgraded- I may use Audio File in Bishops Stortford to do that- I like a good sound system.....

Any recommendations appreciated- I just don’t fancy taking the car to my local BMW franchise for the cruise control retro fit- they charge about £45 to fill the windscreen washer fluid during a service!

Charlie

Not sure if it's a bit far from you but I really rate Munich Legends down near Gatwick. I took my S50 there soon after buying it for them to give it the once over & attend to a number of niggles.

I'm sure they'd do the Cruise fitment - as you say it's straightforward on an S54.

If you can find the parts to retro fit, I really rate the HK audio system - and I know a thing or two about audio! I run it all from the standard headunit with an aftermarket Bluetooth module for phone streaming - have to say it sounds really good and much better than the HK system in my previous 2017 AMG A45.
    ----------------
    David
    1999 M Coupe (S50)
    >>Read my journal here<<
    2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
    2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwfad View Post
      Hi everyone -
      I’ve always loved the Z3M Coupe and at last I’ve got a s54 2002 car being delivered this week.

I live in Cambridgeshire- can anyone recommend a good Indy garage to retrofit cruise control?
      I understand it’s not too difficult on the s54 but I’d still prefer an expert do it and not me!

I’m also going to get the audio system upgraded- I may use Audio File in Bishops Stortford to do that- I like a good sound system.....

Any recommendations appreciated- I just don’t fancy taking the car to my local BMW franchise for the cruise control retro fit- they charge about £45 to fill the windscreen washer fluid during a service!

Charlie
      Audiofile Incar at Bishops Stortford have done at least one other Z3M coupe, saw it on their facebook page.

I found them pretty good when I used them for another car. They fitted A pioneer apple carplay head unit and JL audio amps to a 2006 Range Rover after the OEM stuff got bathed in water.

Comment

Have you tried CBS in Horningsea - they've been around for years and have a good reputation.
        I was going to ask them to fit a DAB aerial to my S50.

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post

If you can find the parts to retro fit, I really rate the HK audio system - and I know a thing or two about audio! I run it all from the standard headunit with an aftermarket Bluetooth module for phone streaming - have to say it sounds really good and much better than the HK system in my previous 2017 AMG A45.
          I must be missing something because the HK set up in mine is diabolical by any measure. The fitted system in my 1.0 corsa life (the soon to be retired station runner) sounds miles better.

Are you using different speakers or something?
          S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

I’ve spoken to Audiofile-Incar ..... they seem very familiar with the Z3MC and I’m confident they will do a very good job. Just can’t decide whether I can stomach a subwoofer in the boot despite the obvious improvement in sound quality-I want it to look factory spec as much as possible. They did fit an upgraded system in my Porsche 997 a few years back and it was very good.

I’ve spoken to Munich legends and I’m awaiting a call back with regards to whether they can retrofit cruise control.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
              I must be missing something because the HK set up in mine is diabolical by any measure. The fitted system in my 1.0 corsa life (the soon to be retired station runner) sounds miles better.

Are you using different speakers or something?
              I'm 99% sure it's all original speakers. I've not inspected every last one, but I can vouch that those I have had opportunity to inspect (door speakers & sub) are original and given the tome of receipts I inherited with my car for parts as innocuous as washers, I'd be surprised if they had omitted to include receipts for replacement speakers.

No I'm really impressed with the HK setup - Though if you have a non-standard headunit I have heard that can cause issues as it may mean the amps are not powered up....? Maybe that's the source of your issue? Mine certainly sounded a lot better when I ditched the aftermarket Sony unit that was fitted and replace with an original CD43.
              ----------------
              David
              1999 M Coupe (S50)
              >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
                I'm 99% sure it's all original speakers. I've not inspected every last one, but I can vouch that those I have had opportunity to inspect (door speakers & sub) are original and given the tome of receipts I inherited with my car for parts as innocuous as washers, I'd be surprised if they had omitted to include receipts for replacement speakers.

No I'm really impressed with the HK setup - Though if you have a non-standard headunit I have heard that can cause issues as it may mean the amps are not powered up....? Maybe that's the source of your issue? Mine certainly sounded a lot better when I ditched the aftermarket Sony unit that was fitted and replace with an original CD43.
                That's interesting.
                I put an aftermarket Alpine in years ago, just so I could wire a USB into the glovebox. I don't like anything at all about the sound tbh, so maybe something is up somewhere. I'd assumed the original speakers were the issue.

I really do need to do something..
                Sorry know this is off topic...
                S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Yeah the previous owner changed to Sony to get Bluetooth and USB but now that's available as an add-on module to the original headunits, it was a no-brainer for me to go this route.

It didn't sound bad with the Sony, but it sounds better with the original BMW unit.
                  ----------------
                  David
                  1999 M Coupe (S50)
                  >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Sorry to gatecrash, but do you have a link to the aftermarket Bluetooth module that works with the MC headunit?

I assembled all the parts to retrofit the cruise to my S54, still haven’t got around to it....several years later!
                    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Working...
                    X