No announcement yet.

Oil Cooling and Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 degrees is usually normal; the thermostat will be set around this point. 100 possibly if you're cruising at particularly high speed and rises if you extend the revs.

Comment

My temp normally sits at around or just below 90 however just recently the guage has been making me laugh! on sunday it went right round done a little dance there then went to 120 for a little while! then dropped back to my normal temp, stopped for fuel and an ice cream and it danced again !! obviously something is wrong! so my question is, is it the sender or the clock? personly i think its the sender....but where is it? thanks in advance .oil has recently been changed 3 greens still on...and the car hasnt been trashed..engine soundind and working normal !

Comment

any news on above?

Comment

Yea, it's most likely the sensor, but where that is I'm not sure! Or possibly just a dodgy connector.

Comment

Went out for a blast today ( gave it some beans in 2/3rd up to near the limiter) and oil temp started to rise to 100 deg. backed off for a few and it came back down to 90 -95 deg.

Was a warm day today, so maybe this is why the temp rose a bit.... strange, normally sits at 90 deg.

Will keep an eye on it.

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
            2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

mine runs at these temps with the recommended 10/60 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewturner View Post
                Went out for a blast today ( gave it some beans in 2/3rd up to near the limiter) and oil temp started to rise to 100 deg. backed off for a few and it came back down to 90 -95 deg.

Was a warm day today, so maybe this is why the temp rose a bit.... strange, normally sits at 90 deg.

Will keep an eye on it.
                mine has also got to just a touch under 100 recently, but it is due to the weather (and a bit of a ride ) im sure

Click here to email me

Comment

Just for the reference - I've replaced the oil temperature switch (I believe this is the one&only oil thermostat - or some say it's in the oil filter housing?). The oil temperatures didn't changes, I still get 115-120 °C on hard driving. I run TWS 10/60.

I will prolly clean the oil cooler when I get a chance, but for know I will leave it as is. Obviously its quite common to run that hot with TWS and right know I'm not convinced other oil would do any good (in these summer temps).

Comment

where is the switch??

Comment

oil temp

Originally posted by inside View Post
                      Just for the reference - I've replaced the oil temperature switch (I believe this is the one&only oil thermostat - or some say it's in the oil filter housing?). The oil temperatures didn't changes, I still get 115-120 °C on hard driving. I run TWS 10/60.

I will prolly clean the oil cooler when I get a chance, but for know I will leave it as is. Obviously its quite common to run that hot with TWS and right know I'm not convinced other oil would do any good (in these summer temps).
                      Since using the Silkolene my temps are lower,even with the warm weather,90ish normal driving,just under the 100 in traffic or when i boot it,AND its cheaper than the Castrol!

Comment

Finally the problem is solved.
                        My dealer compared the temperature of the gauge with the displayed temp. of a motortester with the result that the gauge is quite accurate. -> No need to change gauge or temp.switch. Furthermore no errors were displayed in the motortester. -> airflowmeter-device seems to be ok.
                        Then I have let him changed the oilcooler and the conduction-pipes to the filter housing.
                        Now the oiltemperatur shows between 105 - 110 degrees at about 200 km/h in the summer heat here...
                        Altogether it was not too cheap but the result keeps me happy.

I didn't used the original z3m cooler (17212244084) but a replacement from the BMW E36 325 tds (17212244741) which has two more rows and provides about 20% more cooling area. The fitting is the same, only the airconducting-sheet has to be adapted very minorly.

Comment

Originally posted by sys49152 View Post
                          ...but a replacement from the BMW E36 325 tds (17212244741) which has two more rows and provides about 20% more cooling area...

Are you sure about this? ETK shows same PN for 325 tds, E36 M3 3.0, 3.2 and Z3 M...

Comment

Originally posted by inside View Post
                            Are you sure about this? ETK shows same PN for 325 tds, E36 M3 3.0, 3.2 and Z3 M...
                            bm mini parts site states two different part numbers one for m coupe and one for the e36 tds, although the images look the same (probably generic). Is the E36 2.5l tds oil cooler definitely the one to go for then?

May try and find a second hand one.

Ta,

Paul

Comment

You're right. It is not the same PN, I've mistakenly replaced it with 325td. But 325tds obviously has a different cooler...

Comment

Now that you've noticed my mistake I've searched around and found the following data... Obviously used 325 tds cooler is a very viable upgrade:

E36 325 td / M3 / Z3 M oil cooler sizes in mm X mm X mm:
                                475-64-??

E36 325 tds oil cooler size:
                                480-81-45

Comment

Working...
                                X