Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was a good Auto Express Podcast interview with Mike this week

Comment

• This nickname "clownshoe" as well is only something I keep reading from US forums mainly. It was always "breadvan" in the UK.

Comment

• Caught up with it last night. I'm not going to be too hard on him for the nomenclature. You only have to look at the name of this very forum.... and whenever I describe the car to someone who doesn't really know BMWs that well - I always say it's basically a coupe version of a Z3.

I didn't disagree with them updating the finish on the wheels - but I think they came out way too dark.

When I bought mine it had black wheels and I considered going to hyper silver (correct for an S50) or shadow chrome (which is more akin to the S54 wheels). I chose the latter and have never once regretted that decision. Not one for the purists but then my car has a few things the purists wouldn't approve of so my view with any mods is if it looks "OEM" then that's good enough - even if it deviates from standard spec. But the finish they went for on the show... just looked a bit wrong to me.

Like what he did on the rear subframe - mine has been strengthened (by a previous owner) but it has me wondering whether or not it was done to the same standard... guess only time will tell!

Ant's concern about the "missing" ARB - like someone had removed it... I didn't think they left the factory with ARBs - mine has the H&R kit on it - I thought this was a standard mod because the factory suspension had no ARB - unless it was different on the US spec cars? Anyone know?

Then there's the viscous fan mod which has me wondering - have posted up on a different thread for that one!
        ----------------
        David
        1999 M Coupe (S50)
        >>Read my journal here<<
        2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
        2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

• Originally posted by 137699 View Post
          Ant's concern about the "missing" ARB - like someone had removed it... I didn't think they left the factory with ARBs - mine has the H&R kit on it - I thought this was a standard mod because the factory suspension had no ARB - unless it was different on the US spec cars? Anyone know?
          Definitely had a rear ARB fitted at the factory - realoem shows one specified for S52. Seemed strange that Ant needed to weld mounting points to the chassis as I would anticipate that these are standard across the range. Perhaps a previous owner managed to remove them
          1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

• Well I am officially a mug! Subscribed to Motortrend on Demand for £3.99 a month (there is a free trial) and I can't view due to "rights issues in my location"!!

Comment

• Clip on youtube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Yy...ature=youtu.be

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                Thanks, I do like Ant, think I actually prefer his presentation to Ed.

But I do get the controversy about the welding repairs, they look nice enough but the sides of the boot floor have not been strengthened.

I also firmly believe that replacing or spacing out the subframe bushes stops the subframe whipping backwards and forwards and is part of the long term fix.

Like others have said, I always weep when I see how clean some of the US cars are underneath!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                  Definitely had a rear ARB fitted at the factory - realoem shows one specified for S52. Seemed strange that Ant needed to weld mounting points to the chassis as I would anticipate that these are standard across the range. Perhaps a previous owner managed to remove them

I have seen/read of ARB mounts being sheared off,

The WD Coupe appeared to have an aftermarket front ARB which was green and may have had at one time a matching rear?

Comment

• Thanks for posting the YouTube link. I’ll look forward to seeing it again when it arrives on Quest (poss a few years).
                    S54 M Coupe
                    D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                        That roof rack's a bit unsightly, eh?
                        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

• At least it matches the wheels
                          S54 M Coupe
                          D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

• New series of Salvage hunters classic cars currently showing on Quest? interesting to see the old cars but also the companies they visit around the UK to get parts refurbished

https://www.discoveryplus.co.uk/show...s-classic-cars

Comment

• Yes, that’s good watch too.
                              The wheeler dealer episode is also available through Amazon (£2.49) in case anyone wants to watch it but doesn’t have the Discovery channel.
                              S54 M Coupe
                              D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

• Originally posted by 137699 View Post
                                When I bought mine it had black wheels and I considered going to hyper silver (correct for an S50) or shadow chrome (which is more akin to the S54 wheels). I chose the latter and have never once regretted that decision.

Then there's the viscous fan mod which has me wondering - have posted up on a different thread for that one!
                                Silverchrome wheels all day for me, that finish is just timeless. IMO, the wheels are too small to carry off the darker finish.

In the US, it a "thing" to remove the rear anti roll bar completely, and I suspect it was just left off completely, though uprated bars do tend to stress the brackets.

Definintely worth just removing the fan, it really isn't needed, sounds like an old van when it locks and has potential to cause big bills if the water pump fails (the fan hangs off the water pump and theoretically adds unnecessary stress to the pump bearing).

Comment

Working...
                                X