Silver S50 life on the street.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver S50 life on the street.

Well this car has been known here for a while as I bought it from paulwirral about 4 weeks ago now.

Its a 99 S50 in Arctic silver and black/imola with 112k on the clock and loads of history.
    For example at about 60k a £13k BMW invoice for a new engine! Not sure what went on there but a couple of months later there's another for £3k for a new gearbox. OUCH! So my engine and gearbox has roughly 54k on it which makes me a happy camper. Paul enhanced it slightly with Koni adjustable shocks and Apex springs with H&R antirollbars which make it feel pretty planted. EBC yellowstuff pads, ATS super blue etc..

First things first I really needed to degunk/cruddify the body. I literally had to dig stuff out of the boot channels around the hinges and the arch liners.
    and

Updated pics will happen after I've finished and my better camera is charged.

Since then I have had the dreaded Inspection II at http://www.professionalautocentre.co.uk/ right next to Vauxhall station so very handy for me. Went well and no shims were needed. Not a surprise with a 54k engine. But a nice list of things to do has been made.

Remedial:
    Sunroof doesn't work.
    Rear wiper doesn't.
    Aircon needs recharging.
    Propshaft haemorrhoid ring needs replacing.
    Rear discs.
    Steering rack gaiters.
    Incorrect drivers side wishbone.
    Squeaky tensioner when cold.
    Rear brake pipes need some attention or replacing.
    Oil mist around Vanos.
    Stiff accelerator.

Uprate:
    Rear is a little low.

Recon wheels.
    Replace crap tyres.
    IE adjustable rear mounts.

These landed at my desk today. £188 from Euro Car Parts. Not needed but who doesn't like shiny things?
    Last edited by itsdashy; 17-02-2015, 03:48 PM.

I like the arctic silver color ! Perhaps because I am from Finland, thus being semi-arctic at least :)

The front discs were very reasonably priced and original ATE items. Could you kindly check the ATE product numbers from those boxes and inform here ?

I am trying to source new original type floating front discs from a non-BMW source, but being unsure of the correct ATE product numbers.

Euro Car Parts website seems to offer only Pagid type discs, not the ATE brand products.

br, Juha
    The older I get, the faster I was ...
    BMW HP2 Sport
    ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by JuhaV View Post
      I like the arctic silver color ! Perhaps because I am from Finland, thus being semi-arctic at least :)

The front discs were very reasonably priced and original ATE items. Could you kindly check the ATE product numbers from those boxes and inform here ?

I am trying to source new original type floating front discs from a non-BMW source, but being unsure of the correct ATE product numbers.

Euro Car Parts website seems to offer only Pagid type discs, not the ATE brand products.

br, Juha

Details on the original discs supplied by BMW,(made by SHW not ATE)

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ighlight=discs

Comment

Ecp parts numbers are104110658 and 104110668

They come up as pagid however they are ATE and there is a diagram which shows the correct ATE discs.

Comment

Thank you both itsdashy and DaveP.
          I think that the Ate discs will be original enough for me.
          - Juha
          The older I get, the faster I was ...
          BMW HP2 Sport
          ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Back from Manchester and my left leg is about to fall off there was soo much traffic. About to hit it at the weekend with lots of shiny new bits.
            Last edited by itsdashy; 17-02-2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by itsdashy View Post
              Back from Manchester and my left leg is about to fall off there was soo much traffic. About to hit it at the weekend with lots of shiny new bits.
              Looking good. Nice shot of the shard in the background

Where are you based??

Comment

London near the Shard. Used to live one street away and saw/heard it being built from a pile of rubble. However I moved nearer to Borough station as it's a bit quieter and strangely enough deserted at the weekends.

Comment

I said I was more interested in driving than cleaning !
                  The roof and rear wiper were working as far as I can remember , can't be anything serious , and yes , the rear tyres are crap , they are the ones that came on the car when I bought it and one of the first things I replaced even though they were nearly new , I think offered them here for sale for thirty quid or something .
                  Will you have it ready for a mid June ring trip ?

Comment

Fingers crossed. I've got a lot of nice new bits all brakes, steering arms, gaiters, rhs evo wishbone (very difficult to track down), vanos seals/bolts (i know you did the bolts but they came in the kit) and Indy has sorted me out with some flashy alloys.

Tbh I haven't looked at what's stopped the roof or wiper as I don't use them. I'm assuming it's a fuse or relay for the roof and the wire for the wiper has finally given up. Clicked over to 113k a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

New wheels courtesy of Indy
                      Last edited by itsdashy; 17-02-2015, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Getting new wheel caps and looking into ku36 tyres as they seem to be a decent price vs performance. I know boostina had them but I'm not sure how long he had them for before selling.

Comment

After the Ins II, I had a list of things I wanted to get right with the car that needed a 4 poster.
                          1. Brake discs.
                            All round as the rear discs were on the limit and the front ones were minging if operational. Also there was a bit of judder.
                          2. Incorrect wishbone.
                            Drivers side one was replaced with a standard e36 version. This leads to it having a bit of weird bump steer and as it's not a solid inner joint a bit of wandering.
                          3. Steering rack bellows/gaiters.
                            Told these were on the edge and a bit crusty.
                          4. Steering arms.
                            In for a penny, in for a pound. Arms were coming off so why put crusty ones back on.
                          5. ABS sensor.
                            Again came up on the service as intermittent so ordered a new one.

As I don't have a garage or trust most to do work on my cars I hired out a 4 post lift at Pitstart. TBH I last used them about a year ago and, well, since then they seem to have changed a bit and hire out space to independent mechanics. This is a bit of a threefold blow as
                          1. It takes a while to get a lift 30-40mins.
                          2. Nobody is there to give you tools and there selection is more limited than in the past. This is annoying as I must have spent 30mins just looking for someone to grab me the pad spreaders, 22mm spanner etc. That's £12 in time.
                          3. The place is filthy. Really filthy and nothing like it was a year or so ago.

Anyhow on to the jobs. First up parts.

Lovely.

Next wishbone and the bastard nut from hell on the subframe.
                          This one....

There it is.

Couldn't get a ratchet spanner on it due to the engine mount being pretty close and could only get 20 degrees or so using a ring spanner. So took about an hour to swap.

So does anyone want to know the difference between an Evo and non-evo wishbone. No? well I'm going to show you anyway. Evo arm is on the bottom.

Make of that what you will.

Now onto the steering arms or not. The bellows/gaiters that I ordered were in no way the right ones.
                          Arse.

Onto brakes. These were easy and to my astonishment all the retaining screws came out without protest and the abs sensor was a doddle. Quick bleed whilst I was there and boom.

All slapped back together with ATE floaters. Rears are Pagid and have a funky silver coating.

All in all a decent few hours work that cost me about £96 for the hire of the 4 poster. I really need to get the tracking done now as the steering wheel is canted over to the left by 15 ish degrees, but the brakes are cracking and pull up nice and straight with no wobble but the pedal is a touch soft still.

I've heard this can be an air lock in the ABS unit that can be cleared with INPA or GT1 software. Gives me an excuse to use the Tiny ADS interface that just landed on my desk.

Until next time nanoo nanoo.
                          Last edited by itsdashy; 17-02-2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I haven't updated this fora bit just because it's been totally fine. Plus I've only put another 200 miles on it. Oops.

However it's time(ish) for the MOT! I'm having it done at the nearest source which happens to be a Kwik-Fit. Huum.... Well anyhoo 10am tomorrow I'll know a touch more.

Comment

Mot

Test passed with no advisories. Emissions seem surprisingly low as well.

Kwik-fit New Kent Road were very good and also noticed a leak in my aircon condenser. Which is the only news worthy thing really.

Happy day!

Damn it just noticed the rear plate is on the wonk.
                              Last edited by itsdashy; 17-02-2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X