Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing my 2002 US Spec Z3M to the UK

Hi Guys,

I am moving to the UK (for 3 years) from the Middle East before returning back to the States and I am contemplating shipping my car to the UK and keeping it with me there until I move back to the States in 2021-2. I just wanted to know if there are any age restrictions on cars being imported in the UK that are LHD or age limits of cars.

My other option is shipping back to the states and having my cousin take care of it for me until I move back, but that requires someone else to do what we all know can be cumbersome when it's not your prized possession.

As you may or may not know, my 1999 S50B32 Z3M is up for sale in Dubai and depending on if it sells, by the time I have to leave or not, I might bring that one too to the UK and put it up for sale there.

Any help or links to sites I can learn more about the rules and regulations of importing my 2002 Z3M to the UK would be great even if I can keep it on temporary tags for 3 years before re-exporting it. The 1999, if I bring it, would have to stay in UK/Europe unfortunately as the US has strict import rules regarding specifications.

Thanks again guys.

Madi
    BMW Polygamy
    1988 E30 M3: stolen Zinnabarot/Tan
    1991 850Ci: Sold.
    1999 M Coupe: Sold
    2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) Custom Black/Black, Powerflo Headers, UUC short shift, RK6A, RAID silberfil, 3.73 LSD, Randy Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters & roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
    2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Never imported a car before, but I think the UK is pretty relaxed when it comes to imports. We have all kinds of stuff from US and Japan coming in that are decades old no problems.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have looked online and I think there are even shippers who work with importing agents that can do the whole process for me. Let's see what comes of it. But if anyone else knows, that would be great.
      BMW Polygamy
      2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) Custom Black/Black, Powerflo Headers, UUC short shift, RK6A, RAID silberfil, 3.73 LSD, Randy Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters & roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
      2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Comment

Gov.uk is very good. Should tell you everything you need.
        https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Comment

Importing to the uk for more than 6 months then you have to register it in the UK pay import duty, vat etc then you will do the same from the UK to the states.

You also would want to check on personal allowance when relocating to the uk as you might be able to bring the car tax free

if you bring the s50 before brexit then you can sell it into Europe with no further duty

Might be cheaper to keep it in storage in Dubai then ship to the us

In Dubai I have used Bob Collier for shipping race cars around and my friends have used him for shipping cars to and from the UK

sales@concordsky-dubai.ae
          BMW e21 track car
          Z3M (S62)
          2.8 Z3 Coupe
          Ariel Atom
          GT86 race car
          Ferrari 348 Challenge
          Merc G500

Comment

Originally posted by Broadbandylegs View Post
            Gov.uk is very good. Should tell you everything you need.
            https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk
            Thank you so much. I have looked there. I then found a company called greenwichknight.com and they sent the most professional quotation I have ever seen. It included not only the pick up of the S54 here in Jeddah, the export from here, the importing there, the headlight adjustment, MOT, road tax, etc. Delivered to me in the UK with its registration and plates. I was impressed. A pretty penny, but to be honest worth the piece of mind.

Now, if someone here tells me they had a bad experience with them, please let me know so I stop the presses so to speak.

Originally posted by e21jason View Post
            Importing to the uk for more than 6 months then you have to register it in the UK pay import duty, vat etc then you will do the same from the UK to the states.

You also would want to check on personal allowance when relocating to the uk as you might be able to bring the car tax free

if you bring the s50 before brexit then you can sell it into Europe with no further duty

Might be cheaper to keep it in storage in Dubai then ship to the us

In Dubai I have used Bob Collier for shipping race cars around and my friends have used him for shipping cars to and from the UK

sales@concordsky-dubai.ae
            As for the S50, It will definitely be before final Brexit as it seems to be going slow, but to be honest, I would rather just offload it in Dubai for a reasonable price to a good home. If you know anyone interested, let me know as I will be in Dubai on the 17th to the 25th of August and I will be selling it no matter what even if that means going to 'sellanycar.com'
            BMW Polygamy
            2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X