X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb....considering Z3M

Hello all,

I currently own an E46 (see pic below):

(has just about every option available in 2001 including navigation)

and I'm considering selling my E46 and getting a z3M Coupe. What are the most common problems/pet peeves, etc. with your rides? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

canaryM

would you be looking for an S50 (S52) or S54?

This site is primarily of European persuasion and not too knowledgable on the earlier US models myself, but welcome to the forum anyway! You'll find everyone very helpful with any specific questions you may have.

Comment

Hey Canary didnt we "meet" on the m25 a couple of weeks back ? i was in a silver mc with black wheels

Comment

should make your way over to bimmerforums.com.. lots more US people there.

This place is still great but more happens more often over there.

I've had my 2000 m coupe for over a year now.

in the US there is the s52 and s54 motor.

s52 - 1999-2000
        s54 - 2001-2002

s52 = 240hp and s54 is something like 315hp.

s54's are known for vanos problems, and only around 600 or so in the US.

s52's are much more popular(around 2k produced), but some people dont call this a real M car because of the motor.

they are pretty much the same untill u get to 100mph, then the s54 will pull away.

s54 sounds better, has tire pressure monitoring.... and different colors.

guess thats all for now

Comment

I didnt think this was a guy from the US just an american plate thingy !

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
            I didnt think this was a guy from the US just an american plate thingy !

hahaha, could be.. didnt think u guys did that over there..

lots of EURO? tags here in the US.. not sure what they are called..

Comment

awfull !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. kwoffa, sorry it wasn't me.
                I didn't know that there different motors in the M series but now that Apex explained it, I would go for the S54...most likely a 2002.

I'll take a look on bimmerforums.com and see what those guys say...I know Euro specs are always different from U.S. specs.

My peevs that I have from only looking at pics and doing some research are:
                The moonroof doesn't open...only tilts.
                I think the interiror is a bit cluttered.

Other than that I think its one sexy car and very very rare. I can't honestly say that I haven't seen a Z3M Coupe on the road here in the States in at least 6 years....maybe longer.

Any electrical or sub-frame issues?

Comment

Originally posted by canaryM View Post
                  My peevs that I have from only looking at pics and doing some research are:
                  The moonroof doesn't open...only tilts.
                  I think the interiror is a bit cluttered.
                  Moonroof - nice. It should be us calling them that, with our weather. Anyway, I don't have a "Moonroof" and it was one of my key buying points - I'm tall and found that I got extra room in one without.

Originally posted by canaryM View Post
                  Any electrical or sub-frame issues?
                  The rear boot floor can shear. Search for this on the forum. Most (All?) UK based people have had this sorted under goodwill, even if out of warranty. Also, have a search for bearing shells, although you might have had these done as a recall in the US. Just not in the UK, much to the annoyance of the S54 owners.

Other than general upkeep on what is an ageing car, a S54 model should be pretty reliable.

Jez
                  1998 Cosmos Black - Not quite standard ...

Comment

Working...
                  X